Grits Or Taters

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by hayrake • Dec 15, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    They say you can tell if you're a rebel or a yank by whether you like grits or fried taters best with your breakfast. I'm not so sure about that because I'm from the south and most definitely I like the fried taters best. I don't like grits at all for breakfast. They can be pretty good in the place of mashed potatoes for dinner, though. Which brings up another question. Lunch or dinner, which is it?

2. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Tater tots with my scrambled eggs and bacon (or sausage). I love tater tots. Or hash browns. My favorite hash browns were from Cracker Barrel in upstate New York. Delicious. I have eaten grits and I do not like it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Taters without a doubt. My cousin likes grits and I don't understand why, they look awful first thing in the morning. I always have homefries, hash browns, or rosti for breakfast, but I am a potato lover and can eat them at any time of the day. I sometimes (often) order an extra side portion too if they are good.With eggs they are a perfect breakfast.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Theo, lol, I'm with you there. I've always thought grits looked extremely unappetizing in the morning. The same as with hominy, which I think grits are made from. I've seen people eat canned hominy for breakfast and nearly couldn't stomach so much as a biscuit after that. Of course, I think hominy looks pretty bad at any time of the day. It just looks like deformed corn to me.

5. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Rice! Seriously, some mornings I have grits with plenty of bacon or sausage grease and cheese, or sometimes it's taters with the same plus onions and bell peppers. Lots of cayenne either way. (Louisiana guy)

Lunch or dinner what!? Do I eat it, spell it, have it, cook it, let somebody else cook it, have it at noon, night, or morning? I know what you mean Hayrake. Really, I do!.. I get confused sometimes. If I eat dinner at lunch time it tastes different because dinner was supposed to be in the evening, unless of course it is preceded by supper. I think the key is, what type of blessing is said. If it is supper some folks say, "Amen and Amen." While at a shorter version of the same meal at noon folks just say "Amen" because the extra Amen takes too much time away from the half hour break, which is then called lunch because it is 1 letter shorter than dinner and again takes too much time for the same reason. Does that clear up what I think I said?

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Clear as mud, preacherbob. I like it that way. And rice? Yeah, I could do rice in the mornings. The onions and sweet peppers, too. Especially if they're in a nice cheesy omelet with the taters on the side. Let see, it's how many hours til dawn?

7. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    What dawn! My wife and I are on our way to your house. Midnight is good for breakfast. A bunch of over ripe alcohol drinkers sitting at a waffle house or a 24 hr. IHop can't be all wrong.

8. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    Every once in a while I like to eat grits with my eggs by mixing then in. I also like potatoes every once in a while.

9. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Grits please, occasionally I might make fried potato instead, but it does not compare to a nice bowl of grits, and no not the instant kind either. I like mine smooth, not so hard they form like wallpaper paste. Served with butter and salt some eggs and biscuits with sausage gravy. What a great way to start the day. Just in case you wonder, I am in the great white north.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer grits over taters. I don't really like taters so that could be it. I do love O'Brien potatoes. I can eat them whenever. I don't believe that food belongs to a specific time period. I can eat pancakes for dinner. Pancakes are one of my favorite comfort foods. I love eating pancakes after a long day.

Grits aren't really a comfort food for me, but a big bowl of grits hits the spot on a cold night.