Groupon

Discussion in Local Deals (Daily Deal Sites) started by dissn_it • Mar 30, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be signed up with Groupon about a year ago. I never did use it and the email address it was created with was my work email. When I got laid off, I wasn't getting the notices and never went to the website to change my email address. I pretty much lost interest in it because most of the deals were either too far away or not something I was interested in. Does anyone want to share their experience with Groupon? Has it improved lately?

2. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I did not like the whole program of Groupons. I never really got into the phase when it first started and seemed like way to much of a hassle. Like you most of the decent deals were way out of my way which didn't make them worth it.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I love it!

It seemed pretty pointless where I lived before because the deals were always for the next city over and the travel time and cost simply wasn't worth it. Now that I live closer to a city where there are tons of deals, I use them fairly regularly.

I think it's a great way to save money and try out something new. We pretty much never go out anywhere unless we have a Groupon or there's a major promotion going on. We don't go out much anyway, but for date nights, special occasions, etc, it's nice to not spend a fortune and still get to try out a new restaurant or even for less than half the cost usually.

4. crowan

crowanNew Member

Threads:
    I use it once in awhile, and they keep improving. It definitely adds up after awhile. I'm sure someone who uses it regularly could be saving a great deal of money, that's if they're in a city atmosphere.

5. dkramarczyk

dkramarczykMember

Threads:
    I use it every once in awhile, but most of the time they don't have what I want. I mainly look for coupons on hair dye because it can get expensive if you dye every 6 weeks to keep up the color you want. Most of the time they don't have any hair dye coupons though.

6. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of Groupon. I've joined recently, and already got three good deals from them. I tend to go for the restaurant offers, as my friends and I like to eat out, but we never do it without a Groupon these days! :D

7. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    I have only used Groupon once. It was easy to do. I do not see too many things that are of interest to me. I hesitate too much and tend to think too long about things. For those who know what they want and are ready to pull the trigger, this might be good for them.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For someone like you, the best way to go about using the site is to have a general plan in mind. So say you know you have an anniversary coming up in a couple months or you want to get together with your girlfriends in a couple weeks. Just pay attention to the email notifications and if something comes up that could fit one of those events, then specifically plan it for then. That way, it's not quite as random and doesn't feel like something you have to mull over or wonder if you'll use.

9. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    For those of you who are avid groupon-ers, I thought I would mention that if you are a PerkStreet customer, Groupon has 5% off this month:

So, that's an extra 5% savings on top of what groupon already saves you! Slick deal!

10. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to find that it pays better if you live in a bigger city, or at least near one that has a lot of the bigger chains. When you live in a small town it is hard to find a lot that applies to you. I think if they would expand a little bit to some of the smaller companies (maybe offer incentives for those companies to join somehow), that they would get more members that like what they offer.

11. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I live in a very active city (Miami) therefore Groupon does offer many cool things here. I recently bought an Ultrasound Package from Groupon at $34.00. The package included a regular ultrasound for sex determination, a 4D ultrasound, a DVD of your whole session recorded with lullabyes playing in the background, another CD with all your ultrasound pictures (mine had 47!) and 2 professionally printed pictures of your choice! In addition, they gave us a free gift which included 4 bottles of ready to use baby formula from SIMILAC, a cooler with 3 freezable bottles for storing breast milk, a zipper pouch to store extra bottles for the baby and a huge booklet with awesome coupons from Huggies, SIMILAC, Fisher Price and more brand names! This is usually a $70 package with no gift and we got it at an outstanding price!

Considering that Groupon is a free site to use at your leisure I believe it depends more on your lifestyle and location than on what is offered on the page that your membership will actually be beneficial to you. If you're not one to travel often, wine and dine, splurge on yourself with goodies such as spas and salons or don't do adventurous things like sail boating or skiing then I can see how this page would be a waste of time but once in a while you can take advatage of something you really might need!

12. Germs

GermsMember

Threads:
    Found a few nice deals on groupon, although most of them seem to be totally useless and irrelevant to me.

13. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have never used Groupon. I have a niece who uses it and loves it. I have heard a lot of positive things about it. I personally don't think about this company so I don't use them. I probably should check into it though since I do hear a lot about it.

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    My dad (not very computer literate by the way) has used it a couple times. He used it about a month ago to get a set of new pillows. They arrived safely and they had amazing quality.

As for myself, I still haven't had the time to learn how it works, although I have heard great reviews, and it's available worldwide. Someone I know has even bought a cellphone with/through it.

15. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually had the same experience as you with Groupon. I signed up about a year ago and realized it wasn't for me, so I haven't used it since.

16. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    Groupon is one of the first deal sites I joined and is probably one of the best and more reliable ones out there. With an increasing number of copy-sites sprouting and emulating the Groupon online deals forum, it is often difficult to choose which sites to join. I have bought some coupons from Groupons, mostly about cosmetics products and some tech gadgets, and have found them to be reliable, so it's legitimate. But one thing about Groupon is that it focuses too much on holiday deals, something which I' not that interested in.

17. CityGirlLuv

CityGirlLuvNew Member

Threads:
    I signed up like last year but hadn't used it until this year. I use to think it wasn't that effective towards me anyways, but I've saved a lot from the things I've bought on there that I wanted. I bought the Gold Key for LiveMocha for $39 when it's originally $99. That's a $60 saving and I can study any language I want to. Love Groupon (and other daily deal sites).

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have signed up for groupon, and I feel like very often I find these incredible discounts on things I wouldn't otherwise have bought, which kind of makes it a waste of money. I've been on groupon for years now, and I've only bought in once or twice.

19. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    I really love my local Groupon site. Yes, we do get a few deals which seem useless and aren't applicable to us, but it has introduced us to a few local restaurants/services that we were interested in but had never heard of before. I've purchased a few house cleaning service "Groupons" for instance at 1/3 the cost of a normal house cleaning service. This kind of advertising is what the business owners use Groupon for. Mostly though, I think Groupon and other similar deal sites are really valuable when they offer discounts on offers or products that we're already inclined to buy at full price otherwise. Any time there is a restaurant Groupon or a movie theater / Fandango Groupon, for instance, I get excited because I can save money doing the things I would have done normally. :)