Grow Produce In Raised Beds

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Isabellas2007 • May 30, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Fighting the constant weeds and other items is a challenge I got tired of. I had a garden that was about 20x30 and it was impossible to keep up with. So I decided to make some 4x4 gardens using the cinder blocks. This has worked out great and helps keep the dirt in. Best part is the smaller space makes weeding the garden a breeze now!

2. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Thats a great idea. I built some using lanscape timbers then layed down the screen material that keeps weeds out under the dirt. I never have to weed anymore.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Due to back pain I have scaled down my garden this year and only planted in containers. I now get even fewer weeds than I did in my garden at my old house. I have heard lots of people say that a raised bed is much better for weed control.

4. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I thought this was a great idea also. I have not been able to have them work for me. You would think, but they were too shallow. I even tried double stacking them. What I have found works great is that I used them to be a 'retaining' wall and perimeter wall that contains my area for my container garden I stack the extra pots around on them, so this wall performs several duties.

Hope that gives other ideas as well. :)

Best wishes

5. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    The great thing about cinder blocks is that you can plant in them as well! Grow herbs, marigolds, garlic, onions, etc. They come in especially handy if you are using companion-planting techniques.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    See, when you have a full sized garden, and don't want to try combating the weeds all summer, you have to lay down black plastic before planting everything. Then you just cut holes into the plastic where you want your plants to go. It's what we do with all of our produce plants and flowers. I haven't had to pull weeds in years! Though, a cinder block wall garden sounds really cool! You could probably even plant stuff with in the cinder blocks themselves! Like, for instance, if you were growing tomatoes, you could grow marigolds in the cinder blocks!