Grow Your Own Food To Save?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 23, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    For years probably, we've been hearing the wise advice that we should "grown our own food to save", and that we should really invest in an at-home garden, cultivating our "green thumbs" so that we can save ourselves the expense of having to buy the same things at the grocery store.

But have we been heeding that advice?

I know that I could definitely improve in this area, as I often find the simplest and probably most pathetic excuse as to why I can't do it...

Perhaps I might say that "I just don't have the time", or that "the grocery store produce isn't that expensive anyway, so..."

So NO!

It's my personal belief that making the sacrifice of cultivating your own garden full of Fresh Produce, such as tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, carrots and spinach, will not only save our pockets from the expense of buying all of these at the grocery store, but that having these sources of produce at such convenience will add color and depth to our diets!

So, what do you think?

Do you think it's too much to have to Diy in terms of an at-home garden? Or would you be willing to start one of your own?

What other food-saving hacks do you know of and practice?

#1Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a fortune on chillies until I started growing my own. I'l use chilli in just about everything and I am now able to grow enough chillies during the summer to last me throughout the year.

3. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I once embarked on a mission to make steps towards being self-sufficient in the vegetable department. However, I am simply not green-fingered. Plants that other people seem to find really simple to grow, I am completely unsuccessful with. So far, I have attempted tomatoes, peppers, carrots, potatoes, chillies and eggplants. All the aforementioned diedMy one success so far is cress and even my toddlers can manage that!

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have a green thumb, but when I have the yard space I'll definitely be all over it. I don't trust grocery store produce and the farmers market isn't year round, so I'm going to do my best to grow whatever I can, whenever I can. Right now I have some green onions growing on a window sill haha, 'bout as green as my thumb has gotten in the way of food so far. My flower gardens always looked amazing, but now I want to grow my own food.. not for savings, though that will be nice, but for health. I already eat majority whole foods, but I'd be healthier and quite proud to grow my own.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the 1970s, Philippine first lady Imelda Marcos launched the Green Revolution. That is the planting of vegetable and other edibles anywhere in the city. For those with no land, you can use the clay pot. It was a success of sorts because the public cooperated with the project. You can see the vegetables growing on the vacant lots and even on sidewalks. No matter how small, that project was a boost to the economy and health of the people.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a few plants here at home that has managed to save us a bit of money since we don't buy them at the stores anymore. I think if you can invest in growing your own plants then that would be quite beneficial in the long run.