Grow Your Own Nails Or Buy Them?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Jasmine2015 • Nov 13, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I love having my long finger nails. I don't really know how long it takes for my nails to grow long once they break off but I guess it's average growth. I have seen it somewhere on YouTube about a lady who had the world's longest finger nails and it was both interesting and scary at the same time. I have had fake nails once but I prefer my own nails. So do you grow your own nails out or do you take a shortcut and just buy them?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am saving a lot on this because I do not grow my fingernails long since I do not use nail polish - my husband doesn't like me to have that especially with the nail art. At first I was not comfortable but in due time I got used to not applying nail polish and just be natural. With fake nails, maybe I will use it when somebody would give me as a gift.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought nails as I have strong nails that grow fast. People always think they are fake and pull them to test. I don't think fake nails are healthy, and I have friends that have used them. I always remember that episode of 'Friends' when a fake nail fell into the lasagna. Things like that can happen. I know not everyone has strong nails, but that's the best thing to do, look after them and keep them healthy.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to grow my own nails. I don't keep them super long but long enough that if I was going out I could paint them and they'd look like I'd been to the nail salon. I can't justify spending money on getting my nails done or buying fake nails. I'm forever washing dishes and housework so it just seems like such a waste of money. The nails wouldn't last nor would a manicure. I have a gift certificate for a manicure that I still haven't used.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't exactly grow them long, just to my fingertips and I do use polish when I can be bothered to. It's such a faff to apply polish and I haven't always got the time.

I was a biter but getting a set of acrylic nails applied seemed to break that habit. I wouldn't get them done again, whilst my nails grew long, they were still an absolute state underneath.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My nails get chipped easily so it's futile to grow them, they get out of shape easily. I don't think I would be buying fake nails though because I'm not fond of long nails anyway. However, nail art is cute in my opinion and I don't mind seeing it on other people.

7. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I think there are a lot of great products out now to help your nails grown. I use Sally Hansen nail growth and I have to say I see a big difference. I also take biotin supplements which helps my nails stay strong. My issue with fake nails is that over time they really ruin your nails and are costly to maintain.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer my own nails over fake nails. Having fake nails can be extremely cumbersome sometimes when they start to come off. It is more cost effective to grow your own nails and paint them if you choose to do so. I rarely have time to paint my nails, but when I do I prefer the longer-lasting gel polish similar to shellac.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I hate having long nails. Being a mother to a one year old, things can get really dangerous even pointy nails. I might scratch him accidentally when I have long nails. So really, my only preference now is to have short nails. I do use polish sometimes and it looks okay with short nails. Though many of my manicurists prefer long nails when I'm having my nails done with polish. I don't think I'd like fake nails as I think they can be quite a hassle. And I'm always on the laptop too and it can be hard to type with fake nails on, lol.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I get weary with fake nails. There are so many chemicals that are required to put them on and maintain them. There was just an article in the WSJ about how salon workers are a lot of health problems because they are around those chemicals and breathing them in every day. I rather stick to real nails as they are natural.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I only grow my nails out because it is so much more cheaper than buying my nails. I do my nails and I also paint them every week. I file and cut them and I am so good at it that it takes me less than 10 minutes to do it each time. I should start paying myself to do my nails and then save up that money to treat myself.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the same problem as you @Jasmine2015, my nails grow to a certain length then snap off. I've tried a few things, but they just won't harden. I personally don't like fake nails, so I've resigned myself to cutting my nails short and making sure I wear polish most of the time because my hands look better that way. I don't have nice, dainty hands and fingers. I mean, I don't have shovels for hands, but they could be better LOL

13. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I grow my own nails. I do not keep them very long, so it doesn't look to bad when one breaks. If they are on the longer side and one breaks, sometimes I will just cut them closer to the length of the one that broke. Maybe one day I will try the fake nails, like maybe for my wedding, but it's not something I plan to do make a habit of.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer growing my own nails. I think fake nails are very uncomfortable, not to mention they last little time and it's a hassle to be getting them on all the time. I also do not like really long nails, so it's not as hard to maintain my real nails looking pretty.

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I never bought fake nails to put on my real nails. It just was never my style.
    Therefore, I would definitely prefer to let them grow. My nails grow very fast for some reason, so I would not really have a problem with that.
    But I do know some people's nails grow slowly. I think there are vitamins you can take in order to speed up the nail growing process.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like growing my own nails only. I will shop and look around and see the fake nails, but end up just growing my own nails. I like having my own nails better than putting on the fake ones. Your real nails won't drop off from you so when you're out and about it's safer to me to have your own nails. I've seen other's with fake nails and they are beautiful and can't really tell if it's fake or not too!

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think growing your own is still the best and most fun as well as being a lot less expensive but using fake nails is a good option to have as well. I know it's not always that healthy to keep putting nail polish on your nails or at least I know you should put in a bit more other products to keep them healthy and protected so I say it would be equally just as expensive doing that and buying fake nails anyway so maybe it's just a matter of taste when it's all said and done.