Growing Your Own Coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Cash In Hand • Jun 2, 2015.

1. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    Does anyone here like coffee enough to where they would grow, harvest and roast their own? I was just reading up on this a little while ago, and it sounds like quite a process. The trees wont even start producing for 6 years!

I used to think about doing it, but now I don't know. I have nightmares about the world running out of coffee, (Not literally, but you know what I mean) so that's why I first started looking into it.

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I never thought about growing my own coffee. From your post, it sounds like it would just be easier to keep on buying it instead. Do you know anything about environmental factors for growing it, such as climate and soil acidity?

3. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I think this is a really good idea and have never really thought about it before, I may have to look into doing it though!
    It would be good to know how it would taste, if you was to grow your own and it tasted horrible It would be disappointing!

4. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    Its a big waste of time and energy. Your home grown coffee is likely to never be as good as some of the cheaper brands you can purchase at the store. Its something to do if you want to try something new, but I would rather use my gardening space for other stuff that I know will grow and taste good

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Omg, you just gave me the heebie jeebies and I'll likely never sleep again! Could you imagine if the world ran out of coffee????? I'm just... too emotional. Can't respond.. must.. move on...

6. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I think growing your own coffee would have to be a hobby type of thing. If you are thinking of saving money by growing your own coffee, I would think again. The time you spend taking care of the tree will automatically make it more costly than buying it if you value your time at all.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    If I lived in the right place for that and had a yard. I would love to try, but I don't think it would grow well here. Coffee needs a more tropical climate I think. There are lots of independent roasters in my area though.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I know about coffee and how they grow it, you need a relatively large piece of land to grow enough coffee that can supply not only what you'd need but also what you'd sell otherwise they'd be no point in wasting that land.

So for someone who doesn't intend to be a coffee farmer assuming you live in the tropics, you'd save more money if you planted vegetables . . .

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love coffee, but no way would I consider doing this! I just don't have the patience. I'd much rather walk into a store and pick up my coffee, readily packaged. To grow your own coffee would also need some capital, time and dedication; all of which I don't have.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't be fussed with growing my own coffee. Beside the fact that the climate is completely unsuitable where I live, I'm happy to pay at a store on the basis that it helps the global economy. As long as the coffee is Fair Trade and ther guy who grew the beans got a decent price for them then I'm happy.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you have to have certain conditions and weather to grow coffee which I am sure I do not have. I don't think I could grow enough to keep myself happy. I need one cup a day which I doubt I would be able to produce, maybe one cup a month. No I don't think I will give that one a try.