Growing your very own garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by roy835 • Oct 13, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, in my earlier teens, and even before that. I regularly grew my own garden at home. It is a lot of fun. You get to grow so many different things, just about anything that you choose that can be grown at home. I had tomatoes, cucumbers, Collard greens, corn, cane, yams, a bunch of stuff. You get to watch you stuff grow and you learn to really appreciate the process of how plants develop from seed to eatable state. And considering how expensive it can be for vegetables, fruits and other things at the local marketing, you may want to consider growing your own garden. It is a great way to eat healthier and also save money in the process.

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've always had my own garden, ever since I was little. Now, it's just grown into a huge! garden, and it can be a lot of fun, because we share our food with family and friends, and not to mention we freeze a lot of things so we have things during the winter too.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, growing your own garden is very healthy for you and helps the budget as well. Some say that gardening can even be therapeutic because you are resting your mind from stress and working with your hands in a physical way that can be healthy. Being outside and getting fresh air is also a nice way to help oneself. I found a couple gardening quotes that go nicely with these posts:
    "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
    "It will never rain roses, when we want to see roses, we must plant more trees."
    "A garden requires patient labor and attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them."

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have some plants and fruits that are grown from our garden that we eat, but most of the time, it is just given to other people. Most of what I see in here are flowers. I tried to plant a seed once when I was a kid, but when the seed didn't sprout at all, I did not attempt to plant another tree again.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A garden can save you money in several ways:

a) The food you'll get from the garden will save you money.
    b) You'll get enough exercise from gardening and that means you'll be healthier.
    c) You don't get bored. When you have free time instead of thinking about going out and spending money in the process all you need to do is go out do some weeding, plant more veggies, and so on. It will help you pass time.

So yeah, gardening can be great for many, many reasons.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also love having my own garden. Over the years I have grown vegetables, fruit and herbs in my backyard, and also in containers around the house. But since my life style changed a lot and requires me to travel a lot, I haven't been able to keep up with this passion of mine. I really miss it. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by work, or stressed in some other way, I take myself to a quiet place for a few minutes and visualise the garden that I want to cultivate at some future point in time. It never fails to relax me, and makes me feel really good.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If you have some space available around the house I see no reason not to grow some vegetables/herbs. Even if you lack the how-to there's plenty of videos on Youtube to get you started. Then, with some basic tools and the right seeds you can grow fresh stuff that you can eat. You save some cash in the process and acquire a new skill, win-win. Who knows, gardening may even became a hobby of yours.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I get a lot of my summer veggies from friends who grow a lot of them and share. I wish so much I had the space and sun to grow some of my own vegetables. I hope to try again next year with something, but as there is shade for so much of the day, I do not have high hopes. Pretty much everything that can be eaten needs full sun all day long to do well, so that is very frustrating. My parents have almost no full sun at all so they have not even tried to have a real garden.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother is growing her old garden. Now that she no longer working and all of us just don't have much time to spend the whole week with her, she entertains herself with her garden. She takes care of them well. When I asked her why, other than the reason that she's not able to do something else to relieve her sadness, taking care of her garden makes her relaxed and calm especially when she's able to reap her hard work, when she's able to reap fruits and flowers. It's really a good way to de-stress. It's even contagious. When I get to see her garden, it makes me feel relaxed as well.