Guinea pigs - My family eats them

Discussion in Pets started by webdesignsbyapw • Oct 14, 2013.

1. webdesignsbyapw

webdesignsbyapwNew Member

Threads:
    Okay, my husband is from Peru and when I first met him we started going out together. He eventually introduced me to his family and at the time they were eating a special dish. I have been to be eating it too but I had no idea what it was. When I asked my husband, he replied that it was guinea pig. I ended up throwing my plate in the garbage because I was so disgusted. I know it may be a tradition in Peru but in the United States, that is like eating your own pet. Now I avoid the family whenever I know they are eating guinea pig.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    WOW! Omg I thought I had heard it all I was wrong lol. I never heard of people eating guinea pigs that's so sad :( what did it taste like?

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I'm also curious to know how did the guinea pig taste like? Here in the Philippines, some people eat dogs, but there is a law here forbidding dogs to get slaughtered for food. I have never tasted a dog yet, but they say that it tastes like meat. I don't think I will try it out though.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Well that is definitely something different! How did it taste anyway, before you knew what you were putting it in your mouth and chewing? Didn't you noticed something wrong? Maybe it really isn't that different...

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my. You definitely got a big surprise at dinner! Does his family still live in Peru or do they live in the US? Does your husband still eat guinea pig? I have tasted several interesting dishes while I was traveling in the Dominican Republic and Turkey, but I never ate guinea pig. At least I hope not!

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    lol oh no, that's terrible.. I couldn't imagine what my reaction would be to that! I ate horse without knowing it once.. threw up all night. Thing is, animals are animals, a pet to one is dinner to another. If you can eat one, the rest are justified too I suppose. I mean, I have the same feelings about guinea pigs and horses etc, but when you think about it.. why a cow or a pig and not the others?

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    As a guinea pig owner, I find this disturbing...no way could I eat one! I did see an episode of Bizarre Foods and yes, it was filmed in Peru, where they were eating guinea pigs. I haven't watched the show since.
    I do understand that different cultures eat different animals. Food is food and one man's pet is another man's dinner I suppose...

8. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I have heard about this, people eating guinea pigs. I also understand that in France they eat horses. Not exactly my idea of a good meal, but it's their culture, so I can't knock it.

That being said, I probably would have had a hard time eating a guinea pig. They're so little and cute.

9. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    In France, they ate horse? I did not think that was true, but I guess it could be true. I am not that adventurous. I will let others try it.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Horse is actually healthier for you than cow.. if that matters lol.

11. glitter9

glitter9New Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this, and to me it is appalling. I respect other peoples cultures, but you have to draw a line somewhere. They eat cats there also in a particular village. That is also incredibly disturbing to me. I can't fathom doing it, when we have access to other form of sustenance. I just don't get it. Maybe it is just that tasty, but come on there are a lot of tasty meat products out there other than a cute little guinea pig or a kitty cat.:mad: