Habitat For Humanity Restore

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Tina122321 • Mar 14, 2016.

1. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    Have you ever shopped at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore order to save money on your home improvement needs? We like to shop there to save money on light fixtures, paint and wood furniture. We also have our eye on on new kitchen sink that we would like to put in our kitchen when we redo it.

The first week an item is there it is full price. The next week 25 percent off. The next week it is 50 percent off. The next week it is 75 percent off. Then it goes to clearance which is 90 percent off.

Most of the stuff is used and moved out of places before being redone. The general public can donate to them and get a tax write
    off. They carry a few new things like doorknobs at good prices. Last time we were there they had about fifty couches and end tables from the local hotel that is being redone.

Have you ever shopped at restore or other used building supply stores? What do you buy there? Does it save you money?

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping at Restore is not an experience like in anywhere else. It is a store that is part time home improvement, part time retail and resale store. All proceeds from Restore support Habitat for humanity whose mission is to make sure that there is affordable housing around the world. Most have new and used building materials, furniture and appliances. Their products are therefore, quite a bargain.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of them, but have never shopped there. I do believe there is at least one in the Houston area, although not anywhere near where I live. I like the idea of getting a deal, as well as the proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity. Is it possible to shop the store online? I doubt so, although it would be nice to be able to do so, at least for some of the lighter weight items. Hopefully my situation will change, and I'll be able to get my own place eventually and take advantage of these types of savings to tailor the place to my style.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There might be one of those stores in this region. I used to volunteer for habitat, but I honestly don't remember something about a store in this area, however, Charlottesville is a bigger area, and I would guess that there is probably a store there. I hope all thriftshop benefits go to those they are trying to support. Not only can you save money by shopping, but if they benefit a disadvantaged group it is a good thing.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to the Restore yet, but I would really like to go. There is one about an hour away from me, and I just haven't had the time. I'm usually going in the other direction (also about an hour) when I head to the city.

I need to make a trip over there though. I'm working on my house, and one of my kids just got her first place, so I'm sure we could take advantage of some of the deals there.

I'd also just like to take a look anyway. There may be some things there such as furniture pieces that I can restore ...no pun intended.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a Habitat for Humanity here in our city; but the never lower the prices like Tina wa saying they do where she shops.
    We do like to go there and look around and occasionally, we find a good deal on something and buy it; but most of the time , everything is way overpriced for as used and worn out as it is.
    They charge more than the local thrift stores do, and sometimes, almost as much as buying something new.
    We looked at small appliance in their kitchen section, and just a plain old electric drip coffeee maker was priced at $10.
    Sometimes, they will negotiate the price if you find the right sales person, and maybe that is because they can tell that the item has sat around for a while and needs to be sold and gone.
    So, from my experience, while I would definitely recommend checking it out, it is not the best place to find great bargains most of the time.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first time I went into a Restore I was confused, because I did not know it was a place to purchase items from homes that could be reused. Once I understood the purpose of the store I was very pleased I had found the store. I was out walking and saw the store and went in. I will be going back to the Restore soon to get some items I need for my new home. I like refurbishing furniture and their prices are very good.