Habitat for Humanity

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Buckeye • Oct 19, 2013.

1. Buckeye

BuckeyeNew Member

Threads:
    This is one of the more interesting charities. You can volunteer your time or make a monetary donation. Homelessness and a lack of affordable housing are major problems in America (and the world, as a whole). A while back I looked into volunteering in my area and I was disappointed to find that there was a waiting list.

Has anyone volunteered or donated to Habitat for Humanity? Or known someone who received a home?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a very good cause. My son will be donating his time as soon as he's able. Sounds like they take some pretty amazing trips to help out too. I don't personally know anyone who has had a house built for them, but what a wonderful group they are for doing this.

3. firelily99

firelily99New Member

Threads:
    They are an excellent charity and have done countless good works for many people in many places. I have seen the houses in Connecticut and they have been a blessing to many, many people.

4. samjane

samjaneNew Member

Threads:
    I would love to donate or become a volunteer on such kind of charitable causes but I hardly find extra time and money. Anyway, I give what I can in some institutions because helping can make me feel lighter.

5. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    If a person cannot volunteer to help out the builders for whatever reason there is another way to help. A lot of cities now have a place called Re-Store. It is actually a part of Habitat for Humanity. If you have anything that might fit into a house, i.e. a sink, toilet, useable old carpet, ect. they will take it and sell it. The money goes to build homes and do other projects that Habitat does.
    If you do not have these products to donate, they love it when people donate their time to help out in the store.

6. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hi~

I worked in the social work field for a few years. I agree that Habitat for Humanity is a great organization. I have known of several families who received a home through the program. One common misconception about Habitat for Humanity is that the houses are free. They are definitely NOT FREE at all - in fact - in order to qualify for a Habitat for Humanity home, the family must have good credit and stable income. The families that are chosen must pay a 20 year interest free mortgage - so they do save a little on the mortgage interest, but the house is definitely NOT free.

Also, in many areas it is very hard for families to receive a home - I spoke with a director about this once and I can't remember the exact amount but it was something like 1 out of every 500 applications are chosen. (Okay it might have been less, but it was aLOT)

Also, the families who are selected to buy the home have to remember that these homes were built by VOLUNTEERS, many who had NO TRAINING at all. The quality of the homes is very poor (at least the one I've been in), but it is better to have poor quality home than no home.

All in all though, HFH is a great cause. Its also an easy an fun volunteer project.

7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I am familiar with volunteer crews working for Habitat, and have made a habit of shopping at habitat stores whenever possible. I thought able recipients of homes were required to help, and often friends volunteer to help on their projects.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I have never volunteered nor donated to Habitat for Humanity, but I believe this is another of the very few really charitable causes going on since long, long years now.

I have lost track or what they are doing now, but I remember they had a "link us" banners that I used to include on my websites to help at least making their work to be known and having perhaps some visitors donating to it.