Hair Ties

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Feb 23, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    What sort of hair ties do you use? I've used many hair ties and I've found the cotton ones to be the best because they are the least abrasive and it doesn't pull too tight. I've tried using rubber brands but the friction is terrible so I now only stick to cotton ties, though they don't last too long because they get very loose easily.

What sort of hair ties or head bands do you like wearing most?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    hair band. I'm posting a photo of my new favorite hair tie. I've been using them for about a year now and I just love them! I believe they are called, 'fold over elastic bands' but they might have a variety of different names thats why I'm posting a photo. They don't give you a head ache, damage your hair, and they are easy to put on.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely wear hair ties as they give me a blazing headache. Alice bands are no better. But I do like the idea of the ones above, they look like you can adjust them. @H.C.Heartland, do you mind me asking where you get those, I don't think I've seen them anywhere?

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use those without the metal to attach the elastic. But other than that I don't have a preference. I will use whatever is available and I can find - I have this serious issue where my hair ties are always disappearing, so really what I prefer is when I can see where they are!

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually use old tights! I take a laddered pair and cut the leg into small bands. OK, they don't last longer than 2 or 3 uses, but it's free, it counts as recycling and it doesn't really matter if you lose them either.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @missbishi@missbishi, it's funny you should say that! I have a friend who does that and it actually looks alright. If you didn't know, you wouldn't even that's what it was.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use bungees or covered bands. I have very thick hair so often I use both together if I need a secure pony tail. I try to use a clip these days as it tends to be less pressure on my hair, but I only tie up my hair when I have to as the weight of my hair give me a headache.

8. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:

Ok, I have a frugal tip and you just gave me a wonderful idea. I have a bunch of bra straps that have no home - I save them in case of my strapless needing straps. These remind me of them, without the hook of course. Well why not cut the hook off and tie a knot at the end? If it can give our breasts support, Im pretty sure it will work wonders for hair! :)

9. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    My daughter loves these too. I don't pull my hair back too often but those do look quite comfortable. When I do pull my hair back my scalp gets so itchy.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I use Scunci "flat design," they're the best hair tie I've ever used and it doesn't entangle my hair as much. More over, it's flat design makes it easy to tie and to take off. Also, these flat design doesn't roll out and they last far much longer in flexibility and durability - I've had one that has lasted me nearly two years now without barely losing it's shape and elasticity.

11. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I'm the exact same way! Even when I keep them on my wrists, they seem to always end up somewhere else... I've been better at keeping track of where I leave them, if I take them off. The majority of the new bands I get are because the old ones snap after a bit, rather than losing them, so I'm oddly proud of that. I tend to get headaches when I put them in a tight ponytail/bun but I can't stand anything else when I'm exercising because my hair's super thick and the amount of bouncing that happens when I run is unreal.

12. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of looking up a DIY version of these, but you are correct - it looks just like that! lol Thanks for the great idea, I'm going to try it too!

13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I like Goody products. When they say their hair ties don't cause any headaches, they really don't. I can wear it for long hours without feeling any kind of discomfort. Sometimes it even feels like I'm not wearing anything on my head. Goody is pricier compared to other options out there but I think it's all worth it.

14. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I use the Goody brand of hair bands too. I like the thicker ones because I have very long hair. The complaint I have is they get these balls of hair that seems to build up on them if you wear them often. Since I braid my hair everyday these balls can get very big.

This brand never makes my head hurt, in fact I have slept with them on. They last the longest, more often I lose them or throw them out from the hair balls then have them break. I recommend this line, it is the best I have found.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    For me, it depends on the hairstyle I want on that day. When I want to braid my hair I will use the Rubber Band ties to hold tight on my hair. But when I am only at home I always use the cotton type of hair ties.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For pony tails, I use these elastics called Goody Stay Put or something like that. They're awesome.. the only ones I've used that don't pull my hair out, stretch out and/or break, and I don't have to adjust my pony tail all day.. they stay put and I can forget about it.

To put my hair back from my face, I use old t-shirts cut in wide strips for headbands. No need to buy them anymore and I have a cajillion in all colours and patterns now.