Halloween Candy

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Ke Gordon • Sep 11, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like Halloween candy is out earlier and earlier every year. Raise your hands kids, if you are going to succumb to buying candy prior to the season... I did, I did! I couldn't resist the Brach's peanut butter cup candy corn. I am not sure it was that good however. Last year, though at the beginning of Novemember, a store near here had huge quantities of really good Halloween candy at 75 percent off. I need to remember to go there after the season.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, I just saw a Christmas commercial on TV yesterday, that was pathetic! We are not going to buy Halloween candy this year because we hardly get any trick or treaters at our house anyway. We will just dip into the bounty that the kids get. Just another cost I am going to avoid.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I had to laugh as we were buying our back to school supplies my kids noticed all the Halloween candy out and costumes available at Costco. It does seem that getting ready for holidays blends into the last one. I needed to give out smarties on the first day of school and was able to buy the Halloween packs to give out. I'm going to do the same thing and stock up when the Halloween candy goes on sale in November. Great savings and the chocolate lasts a long time.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I see Halloween candies all over the stores I go to and it is tempting indeed. I can't eat too much sugar and I began reading the labels of candies and my eyes popped at the amount of sugar in candies. I put the package of candies down and look for sugar free ones instead. So far sugar free candies are the cheapest at Walmart. I've become accustomed to sugar free candies and stick with it for I don't want to get diabetes 2. It is hard to resist candies, but I've learned to read labels and it curbs your buying a lot!

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I was surprising to see candy at the store just a few days ago when I went for my weekly shopping list, but even more impressed to see all the Christmas stuff in the opposite aisle.

I love the idea to have the Halloween stuff in advance because it comes with significant savings, but I absolutely dislike seen Christmas stuff before Halloween, not just because they are out of context, but also because those items look more silly everyday, just whatever thing made season to increase consumerism and not because are items that preserve the Christmas spirit, as in the past.

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sing it! I totally agree with this.

As for Halloween candy, I love those giant mixed bags. I always end up buying at least one every year, even though trick-or-treaters never roam my neighborhood. But as mentioned, the post-season sales are even more amazing. Excellent time to get my chocolate fix.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Trick Or Treat is only celebrated by the elite and the residents of those posh villages, so the kids go trick or treating there in those villages. Since we are middle class only, we are not affected by the Trick Or Treat festivity. We do celebrate Halloween though.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you happen to live near any restaurant supply stores? I don't know why it never occurred to me to check these places out for Halloween treats, but on a recent visit to GFS (Gordon Food Service) I found some great deals on all sorts of candies and cookies and other stuff sold in bulk.

For example, they sell 100pc bags of various chocolate candies, such as Snickers and Hershey Bars, for around $10. They also sell large cases of small bags of Famous Amos cookies, I think it's like a 50 pack, for around the same price.

I'm assuming people who run vending machines go there to get their stuff, so it's probably fresher too, than a lot of the Halloween candy I see at the stores which sometimes looks like it was leftover from the prior year.

9. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I eat A LOT of candy so it always feels like Halloween. Halloween is like every day when my sister comes into a room where I am...SCARY. I am alright as long as I get candy, whether it is early or on Halloween. I just got to HAVE candy in order to feel complete. My family usually goes to get a big bag of candy. That may or may not survive long enough to see Halloween because I eat it all hehe. I definitely LOVE candy corn! I most definitely LOVE big bags of candy, such heaven that is!

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My household doesn't usually really celebrate Halloween. it is weird because we live in quite a nice neighborhood, but we live right next to a school, and there are kids in the homes that we live by, and we don't get many trick or treaters. We maybe get one or two on the actual night of Halloween and that is if we are lucky. So we don't buy any candy. I don't think we ever have.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oriental Trading is a good place to save on decorations, small gifts, some housewares, and apparently, candy. They even have some themed for Halloween, such as oozing eyeballs, yuck! Some look like really good deals. I'm not sure about all of them, but here's a link, so y'all can check for yourselves. I'm sure it depends on the popularity and ingredients.

12. Bonnie

BonnieNew Member

Threads:
    I would have never thought of a Restaurant Supply outlet as a source for Halloween Candy. Thanks for the tip. I think you are right, probably fresh stock for the restaurants.

I try to wait for as long as possible before I purchase Halloween candy. I keep my eyes open for which retailer has a good sale on the types that I like and then buy it just before the 31st. Hmm, just noticing a possible issue here. Why am I buying candy that I like....its supposed to be for the children that come to the door. Note to self - maybe buy candy I DON'T like. LOL.

#12Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  13. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I never buy Halloween candy before Halloween. My son gets so much candy from events we go to on Halloween so he doesn't need any and I don't do the trick or treat thing. I will buy candy the day after or a couple days after because the candy goes on sale.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I like buying candy all through the year. It doesn't matter to me if it has holloween decorations on it. And when holloween is over with and the store still has some left over, guess what? I will be there to buy it on discount.