Halloween on a budget

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by drpiggledy • Oct 1, 2013.

1. drpiggledy

drpiggledyNew Member

Threads:
    It's only a few weeks away now, so I can't be the only person now starting to think about this years' Halloween costumes, both for myself and the children.

There's plenty of lovely ones in the shop, but unfortunately, these can be quite expensive. When I was small, my mother used to make most of our costumes, using bits of leftover Fabric. If you're any good at sewing, this would be a great way to make unique and cheap but great outfits. I'm really not that competent with the sewing machine myself though!

I'm wrecking my head trying to come up with a good but not expensive set of costumes, but not getting very far beyond the sheet toga and the toilet paper mummy.

There has to be other things that can be home made out of cheap materials. Who has any ideas?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    One way that you can save a lot of money on Halloween costumes is to focus on only buying the accessories and make up. Then combine with clothing that you already have or buy cheap clothing from a thrift store to complete your costume. You can use things like old sheets for capes, old fur coats for animal costumes, etc. etc. I am not to savvy with my sewing skills and this was a great way for me to put together some nice costumes and not spend a lot of money.

3. drpiggledy

drpiggledyNew Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea! The best costumes are usually the ones with the details taken care of anyway, aren't they.

Another thing someone suggested to me yesterday was a ghostbuster outfit. You can get cheap disposable coveralls in hardware stores; the white kind painters use. Then using old soda bottles, tape and various other bits of plastic cobble together the equipment.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Halloween is more for kids and I don't have any children so it's not expensive for me. I don't even buy a pumpkin because I think it's a waste of food I would rather eat a nice pumpkin soup than stick a candle in it.

I know Halloween is much bigger in the US but I don't think it's particularly expensive, just buy cheap food and make your own costumes.

5. Mrs. B

Mrs. BNew Member

Threads:
    I think the cheapest way to creating your Halloween costume without looking cheap is to use what you have and perhaps pick up a few essential items if necessary. I already have devil horns and red peep toe pumps. Not too long ago I found this super cute blue dress on clearance. Suddenly I thought, Hey! I can be a devil in a blue dress!. So that's my costume this Halloween. I suggest browsing costumes online or in a store and seeing what you already have to mimic the costume you like.

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Halloween is expensive! I find it a waste because my kids want to be these xtravagant costumes and then never wear them again. So I've convinced them to go generic... zombie, or punk, or something like that. It's all make up, and clothes you have. That's the way to go! or REUSE. We have reused quite a few costumes. Or use them as dress up for the little ones, they love that!

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

There are a few things you can do for cheap costumes. First you can visit your local second hand stores or goodwill they usually have decent costumes for cheap. You can look online at places like craigslist. Or you can go to a goodwill and by clothes and add props or whatever you want to them and make your own that way. One year I went and got this nice long glittery cocktail dress it looked like a princess dress so I got that brought a cheap crown and added some things and I had a princess outfit. Also check out pinetrest for more ideas.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend to mKe costumes from the clothes that you already have. For example a minion costume from despicable me is extremely easy to do. All you have to do is get overalls and a yellow undershirt and then take aluminum foil and spray paint it grey and attach straps to it in order for the children to wear them.

9. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    All great ideas. Also some good family time in making the costumes and doing the makeup. For cheap props, take the kids shopping to a 99 cent store. Great ideas for a fun plan, a good costume and truly quality time.

10. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Martha Stewart always has great idea's on how to make your own costume. But I think the best idea is to go thrifting for something and buy makeup and accessories to set your costume off. The best part of that is that you don't have to wear what everyone else is wearing.