Hand Sanitizers

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Aug 4, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do hand Sanitizers really work, and if so,I do some brands work better than others?

I've often wondered how effective hand Sanitizers like Purell could possibly be, since i don't think you are really washing the dirt off your hands since the gel only evaporates instead of being wiped or washed away. I suppose it can be possible that it kills germs while it's on your hands, but I question why I shouldn't just bring around a small bottle of rubbing alcohol then instead.

Anyone here who knows more about hand Sanitizers? Do you favor one brand over others or are they all equal to you?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I love hand sanitizers. I work around children and hand sanitizers are my lifeline. I typically get Germ-X Hand sanitizer. They are affordable and if you purchase the large bottle, it will last for quite a long time. I still wash my hands and so forth but just in case I can't get to the restroom, I use a hand sanitizer to remove the germs.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them but I don't know if they're effective nor if there is a difference. I definitely wouldn't stop washing my hands but I use them a lot when I have to pick up after the dogs. Granted I'm picking it up with a bag but I still feel better doing it and I can't very well wash my hands outside. I'm sure it's an OCD thing with me but I agree that if you don't have access to the bathroom it's better than nothing.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never leave my house without a small bottle of Dettol in my handbag. I often spend all day in the city, touching all kinds of things without being able to wash my hands afterwards. So, my hand sanitizer becomes very useful, especially if I want a quick snack, and there is no hand washing facility nearby.
    My favourite type of Dettol is a white, creamy type with aloe vera extracts to protect the skin from irritation.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use hand sanitizers when they were a fad over here during the late 90's and early 2000's, but now I figured that they don't really completely wash the germs off your hands because it still stays with you until it evaporates. So now I have stopped using them and I just use rubbing alcohol to clean my hands when I am out of the house.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I use hand sanitizers but I think it is more or less to make me feel a little better, in terms of the effectiveness I don't know. I would always choose to use soap and running water but for on the go I think the hand sanitizer isn't a bad alternative, if nothing else it removes visible dirt. I have never used Purell, I like the Body Shop brand because they have different fragrances and the perfect purse size bottles.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use hand sanitizer to remove ink stains from fabric. If you have an ink stain on the pocket of a shirt, you can dab hand sanitizer on the stain with a Q tip until it comes out. Make sure to have a paper towel underneath to catch bleed through.

8. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I use hand sanitizers when it is not convenient for me to wash my hands. I don't think hand sanitizers work as well as hand washing when it comes to killing germs. I mostly use hand sanitizer when I am on the go. At home I prefer to use hand soap.

9. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not use hand sanitizers. They are not really proven effective. They might get some germs, but they do not kill all bacteria and viruses. Plus, they don't get dirt off your hands. They just wipe it in. There have been studies showing that the bacterium are becoming immune to all the sanitizers and antibiotics. The best thing to do is go wash your hands with hot soap and water. I used to work with kids all the time, preschoolers no less. You get snot and all sorts of nasty germs all over you, not just your hands. You would have to shower in it!

10. Nada noor

Nada noorNew Member

Threads:
    Hand sanitizers are only for temporary washing, when you get to a place that has soap and water, you should still wash your hands. It only kills some germs because of the alcohol content, but will not totally clean your hands.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always carry some with me, especially when I am traveling, but is not a substitute for soap and water. If I can wash my hands I will even if I have used a hand sanitizer. I will even use a wet wipe as well, but sanitizers can be drying so I try not to use them unless I have to and moisturize when ever I can.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using hand sanitizers because I find these expensive. I would always bring a small atomizer filled with rubbing alcohol to disinfect my hands during those times when I could not use a washroom for handwashing. If I would be given free samples of hand sanitizers during supermarket promos, that's the only time I would use one. I love the scent of hand sanitizers. These also have moisturizers that don't dry the skin unlike alcohol does. But because of frugality, I just choose to use rubbing alcohol.