Has anyone bought a Bright Light Pillow?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by chelsknits • Jun 16, 2012.

1. chelsknits

chelsknitsNew Member

Threads:
    The other night my grandmother called me into the other room to watch a commercial that had come on for Bright Light Pillow. They're basically a pillow, in the shape of a heart or square, which lights up. Towards the end of the commercial they also showed a blanket that worked the same way. The blanket looked really awesome and I'm interested in getting it, but I wanted to find out if they were actually worth getting. Do they look like they do on TV? Do the lights last long?

I'm also wondering if you guys think it's safe to have lights in a material. I was wondering if it could be a fire hazard or something.

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure it's perfectly safe, but what's the purpose of the pillow if you don't mind me asking?

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would be a little concerned about the safety of light in the pillow. When I saw the commerical that was the first thought I had is it safe? The commercial states the light goes off in twenty minutes so it is not on all night.

4. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I would hate to have lights right in my face when I am sleeping. I think it would probably freak me and my kids out if I got this for them!

5. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    My kids go crazy for these every time the commercial comes on so I might end up getting some for them too. Hope someone post a review on here!

6. chelsknits

chelsknitsNew Member

Threads:
    I guess the only purpose would be for it to look neat! haha

Oh see, I must have missed that part of the commercial or it wasn't in the version I saw. Maybe they added that after people were expressing concern about it? If it's only on for twenty minutes at a time then it seems like it would be okay, as long as you don't continue to turn it on again and again and again.

I wasn't exactly thinking of it for sleeping. I thought it would be cool for watching movies or sleepovers for kids. I think it would also be nice for kids who are afraid of the dark. It's much less embarrassing to go to a sleepover with a light up blanket that lights things up a little and makes them less scary than to ask to have a light left on or something.

7. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I could see it being useful for kids who are afraid of the dark. Because studies show that light is bad for you when you are sleeping. So some light to help them fall asleep that eventually goes off is a good idea.

8. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I could see that this might be a way of letting a child feel that he of she had some control over the night light or sleep in the dark issue. And sometimes just knowing that he could turn the light on if needed might be just the thing to help him leave it turned off!

9. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    My kids want one, but this seems to me to be a repeat of the pillow pet craze with the kids trying to get the items and being popular for a year or so then fading. I will have to wait to see if these stay around because I have enough pillow pets!

10. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    My son wanted one because he is scared of the dark. I found an old glow worm that he had when he was smaller and gave it to him to use. It lights up and plays music for him. He hasn't asked for the light pillow since.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I... feel like these are a safety hazard/accident/incident waiting to happen. They are more then likely safe, but lights make heat and heat wrapped in fabric will lead to fires is what my mind keeps telling me. Even in the commerical they have nothing bad to say about nightlights so that is something I would look into before getting this for a kid. As for a sleepover - how often would you be having those to make buying these a worthwhile investment?

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    My girls saw the commercial a few times and one time looked interested but then they didn't seem to care after that. They look like they use LED (my guess anyway) and being that they blink, they do not have the chance to heat up. I am sure they are safe, but I wouldn't get one for my children. Even if they sounded interested again. I don't like the idea of the lights flickering right in their faces like that. But that is just my opinion.

13. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    LED lights don't get hot, so I'm not worried about the safety thing. Seems like this generations glo-worm

14. gem808

gem808New Member

Threads:
    I've been to the website, and it says that the Bright Light Pillows and Bright Light Blanket are perfectly safe. I don't know about you, but the idea is actually pretty clever to me.

15. Lucky120

Lucky120New Member

Threads:
    I have never bought these at all. I have been looking into them for my son, but I am not sure. I am sure that they are safe and everything, but I have to see and make sure. I am still looking and reading reviews on them to see if I still want to get them for my boys. Are the lights pretty bright?

16. gr8nurse

gr8nurseNew Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you may want to google this. There are some posts from people who have purchased this item. I did read a post from one of them, they thought this may have gotten too hot. However, I can't help but think that in the "sue happy" world we live in, one would think there would be pretty stringent testing for safety prior to release to sell an item such as this.

17. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    It is made of LED lights, so it will not heat up and it's completely safe for young children.
    I've wanted to get a bright light pillow for my little cousins, but I've always had the thought that they will not enjoy it because there's light in their faces when they sleep. I personally prefer a dark surrounding when I'm sleeping so I'm a bit calm and tense-free to sleep the night away.
    However, these light pillows may serve as a disturbing distraction from sleeping and may even worsen the problem of young children not being able to sleep.

18. whoopus

whoopusNew Member

Threads:
    I wished I had researched BBB before ordering this for my daughter's birthday. See for yourself (they have an F rating):

This is the text of my complaint:

I originally placed my order for 1 bright light pillow on 7/5 after seeing the product on a TV commercial. I expected the product to arrive by my daughter's birthday on 7/31. I was called on 7/12 and notified of a 4-6 week shipping delay due to the product being backordered. I told the CSR that this was not acceptable and that I would like to cancel my order. He told me that I needed to contact the company directly as he could not cancel the order.

I went to the company's website and called their customer service number. The message told me that I had to cancel the order on the website. I went back to the website, entered my order information and it told me that I had to call the 1-800 number to cancel the order.

I then called back the person who called to confirm my order using the number from caller ID. They repeated that they could not cancel my order and told me that there was nothing else that they could do.

On 7/28, I receive an e-mail saying that my order has shipped. At this point, I had already made other arrangements. The product is scheduled to arrive on 8/2, 2 days after my daughter's birthday.

My plan is to refuse the shipment by taking it back to the post office, but according to the vendor's website, they will also charge a $3 fee for returned shipments.

19. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    They have an F rating from the BBB?
    I'm not actually surprised. because having googled this product there are a lot of complaints. This is not a company to give your money or more importantly your credit card. These guys are tripping.

20. Nikilee

NikileeNew Member

Threads:
    My uncle bought the bright light pillow from Walmart, the heart shaped one. It's not too bright, it does turn off in about 20 minutes and it does not get too hot. I don't have any worries about safety issues, but this is just my opinion! My daughter loves hers!