Has Anyone Ever Owned Lovebirds?

Discussion in Pets started by kingusama92 • Apr 25, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Sadly, at the moment I do not own a lovebird. When I was younger, I had two of the most adorable lovebirds and they were a joy to have. We would let them fly around The House during the day and then fly back into the cage at night.

They were loud at times, but great pets in terms of birds.

They are perhaps the poor man's parrot. They have the similar look and appeal, but obviously they can't talk. However, like I said they still love to make noise in terms of chirping. You will never go a morning without being woken up by their noise! :D

Are there any other owners of lovebirds or even fans? For those that don't know what a "Love Bird" looks like, here is an image. This was exactly how my love birds looked like.

[​IMG]

2. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    They are so colorful and pretty! We had a Mealy Amazon parrot when I was a kid, and he was noisy and MESSY, LOL. He threw his seeds everywhere, and there was constantly dust around his cage. He was also really destructive (he was an escape artist and got out of his cage a few times, and tore up some wood furniture). I don't know if I'd ever want another bird (or birds in this case) as a pet, but I'd consider these if I did. Are they friendly? Do they talk? We were told that our parrot probably wouldn't be a good talker, but he really was.

#2Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I used to own lovebirds and they were great to have around the house. We had two peach-faced lovebirds (the ones in that picture) named Mango and Cookie (my little siblings chose this name for some reason). They were very lively. Both of them loved watching television, they'd come out of their cage and perch on the couch to watch TV. When we turn it off they'd both go back to doing whatever it was they were doing before.

I also got to use the excuse that my bird shredded my homework once. It was funny because it did actually happen. Cookie was making a nest and she decided that the homework I had laying around would be perfect material.

4. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    I used to own a pair of lovebirds like 20 years ago , I think I still have their pictures.They were so cute ,I can still remember their looks.Their names were Tin & Tina. Good old times :D

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Wow. They are beautiful. I had no idea what lovebirds looked like (I am embarrassed to admit). We have quite a lot of lovely birds that visit our garden, mainly because of the trees etc. that they like...and we sometimes leave some food for them. Some are astoundingly beautiful too.

I am thinking of taking up birdwatching one day, when I have time....anyway, thank you for the share, those lovebirds are lovely.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I would love to have love birds! I was actually planning to buy a pair and give it to my girlfriend but she said that she does not know how to take care of them. Does anyone here can give me some tips in taking care of a pair of love birds? Are they expensive?

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Around 2005 we used to have a pair of lovebirds, but they are both dead already. I noticed that when the female bird died, the other male bird seemed to follow suit. My dad said that the bird seemed to commit "suicide". I don't know how he got to that conclusion, but I guess that birds may want to die because of extreme loneliness.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have had about twenty of them when i was younger.. they make great pets.. mine were blue and green.. mostly.. they are quite friendly if you keep them in cages inside your home.. ours were outside and they weren't too friendly.. but one pair we kept in our home was a treat.

9. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I owned a pair back them when I was still younger. Sadly, they died because I kept on pestering them while they were in their cages. Lovebirds are supposed to be left alone and placed on high grounds and you should only pay attention to them when you are trying to give them materials for their nests.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have never owned lovebirds yet, but I would really love to have a pair of it. They say that lovebirds need a partner as they would feel lonely if they don't have one, right? And it's much beautiful to look at a pair of lovebirds than a single one.

11. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I have not, I'm sorry!

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We owned a few lovebirds a long time ago but these birds in general are not meant for longevity. They easily died so my parents got discouraged and stopped buying birds altogether. We're happy with our five unruly cats and three distinct dogs (they have different personalities and it's funny to watch them).

13. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I did have lovebirds before. It was a present on my birthday. They are very adorable, colorful and cute little birds. Sadly my birds had got out from their cage. It was summer, my family went to my gradmas province. When we return home, I was shocked to see that the birds are gone. :(