Has anyone ever started a walking group?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by joyful728 • Oct 30, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hi there!! Has anyone ever tried to organize a walking group where you walk together around a park? That way you can talk, stay motivated, get support, and you are less likely to give up? I know there are several websites that make it very easy to organize one. Meetup.com seems very easy to use. Also another option is to organize it over Facebook.

Of course, starting a running/jogging group is also an option too!!!

I figure it is free (or mostly free) and can be fun to meet new people.

Thanks anyone for your advice!!

2. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I have not started a walking group, but I am a member of a yoga group. It's no official or anything like that. It's just a casual gather up. We do yoga together in the morning. Most of those peoll also come to gym with me in the evening. I don't walk or run that much.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    No, I've never tried to organize a walking group, but I think that it would be nice to be a part of one. I love to walk, but I find that I won't walk as much as I could/should unless I have a commitment to do so, like if a friend and I have agreed to go walking on a particular day, then I feel obligated to go out and walk that day and I do.

This is my first time hearing about Meetup.com, but I'm definitely going to check out their site and see what they have to offer. Maybe I'll find a walking group in my area!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started a walking group, but it consisted of my co-workers. I walked for 20 minutes during lunchtime. Afterwards, I would eat my lunch. I just asked a few co-workers to join me. There was never more than 10 people, including myself, walking at a time.

Meetup is a great way to launch a group. Craig'sList is great if it's active in your city.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Cool idea. How long have you been doing it? Are you walking to lose weight or just get more active?

The women in my neighborhood are pretty good about sending texts when one of us is planning to go on a walk, and we'll frequently join each other. I know I walk longer and probably faster with a friend. I love when I get home and find I've been gone an hour instead of the half hour I originally planned. Plus, it is a great chance to get caught up and to feel connected. Stay-at-home mom land can be lonely and I love when I can double time with kids and time with friends.

6. enell

enellMember

Threads:
    That's really a great idea, having a group walking or jugging, actually it is just like you said, they can stay motivated and excited for next time meeting of any kind of sport they're doing together! If it is your first time, usually it's better to have it with some close friends or family members, then by time you can include your neighbors and even strange people whom are sharing the same sport around your area or city! I advice you to go for it, it is a very useful way of getting motivated and mostly for having new friends and you can also learn from others experiences! Good Luck My Friend!

7. stagsonline

stagsonlineNew Member

Threads:
    I was part of an initiative by a company that I worked for some time back, to come up with new ways to help employees keep fit. So we decided that the only way to engage a large majority of people, was to have them do something normal like walking or running. Of course most of them argued that running was not practical in a working enviroment. Considering that our company was in a huge business park with lots of space, we organized walking sessions in the morning, during lunch hour and after work. At first people were not even that interested but a week later, almost everybody was part of it. Now they organize jogs and runs after work which really made me feel proud of them even after leaving.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course! My friends and I used to this, and it was really fun. It just got to stop because of time conflicts. We have different jobs and different schedules and it's not easy to set up a fixed time to meet and walk with each other for recreation and workout. I don't think this would be fun to do with strangers. Well, maybe it could, but there is a greater chance that it wouldn't.