Has Anyone Ever Taken A Trip To Lagos , Nigeria

Discussion in Travel started by suegiplaye • Jul 20, 2015.

1. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I was wondering has anyone ever spent a vacation at Lagos, Nigeria? What was the cost of you going? Did you ever regret going? I am African American and my parents are from Liberia. I have always wanted to travel out of the country and I am saving up my time to go. I am really interested in going in August. Any tips?

2. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Very unpopular trip destination, to be honest. Though upon checking a little bit on Google, I see it's quite searched by Europeans, especially, though not that much as you might expect. I believe that Nigeria should be avoided at all cost with all these terrorist attacks menacing humanity though.

3. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I know Nigeria has sadly been a victim of terrorist attacks, but United States has been victims of terrorist attacks too. It is still a popular destination for many. People do not avoid the United States because the Twin Towers got struck. New York City is still a popular place for tourists. Being an African American, I am really eager to learn about my culture.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think you should go to Nigeria. Boko Haram is much more serious than the one time attack in NY and DC. Nigeria is a very troubled place because of this very active violent group. I don't know about the situation in Lagos specifically, but the northern part of Nigeria is a war zone, there is no other way to put it honestly.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cannot say anything about Africa except Kenya with the interesting Serengeti Plains. But I believe that Nigeria is not near Kenya and there is an ongoing civil war or the peace and order is not that desirable. However, your intention may be to get in touch with your roots? The cost of traveling abroad is not cheap. I know because we travel every year at least 2 times. This year we will have a total of 5 travels abroad.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm African, albeit from Southern Africa where it's A LOT safer to travel. I mean, my country Botswana is recognised as one of the safest countries in the world. As far as West Africa's concerned, it's a very scary region in terms of war, instability and terrorist activity. Almost every day there are reports of suicide bombings in Nigeria, among other things. Of course there's the small matter of propaganda to consider, but I just wouldn't risk it.

I've never been, but a Nigerian friend of mine of mine once warned me against ever going on my own because of the risk involved. BUT I know of some people from here who have gone and thoroughly enjoyed the culture, the beauty of the country, the food and the people as well. I personally wouldn't go, but if you must go I'd say do your homework and STAY SAFE. Maybe go with a friend or two, if you can rope anyone in.

7. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    Thanks Lushlala and Corzhens for your advice.My parents are from Africa so I would really love to learn my roots. My entire intermediate family is mostly from West Africa. I am talking to a Nigerian guy and he seems like such a sweetheart. Lagos is the city I wish to visit with a popular tourist area and I feel like most of the crime is in the village or country area.

8. Lushlala

Threads:
    It's a pleasure, suegiplaye :) Whatever you do, just be sure to stay safe at ALL TIMES. I do hope you're able to make it and that you find what you're looking for, as well as have fun while you're out there!

9. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I will try my best to be safe . May I ask Lushlala, have you lived in Africa all of your life? Have you ever been in a long distance or online relationship. Did it ever work out for you? Just wondering because you seem African and this is my first time travelling to meet someone because of a online relationship.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    I'm African, from Southern Africa in Botswana (on the borderline with South Africa). I haven't always lived here, I lived for some months in Italy and then 13 years in England, where I met and married my husband. -and no, I've never been in a long distance relationship. I hope that if you're in a relationship with this person you met online, they're are genuine and have good intentions towards you. I'm really sorry, but I've heard many horror stories :(