Has anyone gotten away from cable TV completely?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by True2marie • Dec 3, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have read through the Internet how some people are refusing to pay cable and opting for home streaming instead. They say it's cheaper and thus better for their budget. I haven't gone this far, but I am thinking about doing it in order to save money.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got rid of mine along time ago. I detest the companies first of all. They nickel and dime every last customer and most don't even see it happening or realize the sneaky tactics while they're talking to a representative. It's a very shady business.. as are the phone companies. I much prefer downloading my entertainment over paying for so many channels I don't even use. I was watching maybe a few channels and paying for hundreds! lol. So crazy and unfair. Now I can watch what I want, when I want and it's not costing me a thing. Some people see THAT as shady, but I don't feel bad "taking from the rich" so to speak..

3. Lin

LinNew Member

Threads:
    Home streaming is a viable option. I think you should give it a try. It puts less weight on your pocket. In addition to home streaming, I have a few website on which I can watch live TV. You can try web tv as well.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable though, and I don't think we will get rid of it since we just subscribed to it a couple of months ago. This is the 1st time I've heard of home streaming though and I don't think our cable company offers that.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely did. I ditched cable a long time. I use a combination of Netflix, Hulu, and a digital converter box. I have to say that i was shocked at how easy of a transition it was.
    I use Netflix, and Hulu to watch all of my favorite shows, and i use the digital converter box to watch local channels and live sports. I save $100 a month effortlessly.
    I would suggest you all do the same.

6. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    If you pair Hulu and netflix you can realistically replace your cable for a price of ~14 dollars a month. And if you sue bing rewards you can get the hulu for free each month. Hulu is basically the same thing as cable. Episodes will usually appear a day after they are aired which is why it has ads as opposed to netflix. Hulu has to pay more to licence these shows. The quality on both is very good also, a lot better than my Comcast cable was. I plan on using these streaming services until I get google fiber in my town. It's coming here pretty soon! Yay!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went without cable for 6 years because I just used Hulu, Crackle, Youtube full length movies, and Drama Fever. I also had a digital converter box.
    But I recently got DirectTV for $40 a month because it's bundled with my phone and internet. If I was paying more than $40 a month, I wouldn't have gotten DirectTV.
    I lived happily without cable for 6 years and I recommend online streaming. I saw all the up to date shows and barely paid anything.

8. tony

tonyNew Member

Threads:
    I still prefer cable for now maybe i might decide to give home streaming a try and see the difference.

9. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I definitely ditched cable a couple years ago, we were paying close to $100 a month just for cable, we reasoned that Netflix was cheaper and was better for what we needed. We bought a couple

and just use Netflix for our Television watching. If your bill is outrageous and you don't midn waiting a bit for new things then Netflix might be right for you. If you want to save even more money and don't watch TV very often, you could get Amazon Prime for around $60 a year and only use the video streaming service. To each their own, whatever works best for you.