Has anyone self taught themselves guitar?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Jan 16, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My oldest son loves the guitar, but he's still new. We tried lessons for a bit, but he can't put his finger on it.. it's not for him. The lessons I mean, guitar is totally for him lol. Has anyone here self taught? I've found lots of free resources out there and I'd like to keep it free. I don't really feel like paying for something that can be learned all over the net for nothing.. I just want to see if there is more I'm missing out there. Any other tips or suggestions would be great.

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't have much success but I tried it by watching so Youtube playlists of guides, it's basically free lessons, I managed to get the basics down and it was great for that, but after some videos the difficulty ramped up and they lost me, I imagine that after the videos I would need actual lessons to progress.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, didn't work for me. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to music. I can never remember the different types of notes what's more to actually play a musical instrument. I have success self teaching myself other things but music never worked for me.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it works when you have the time to dedicate to it though. Things I lost in teaching myself came with musical knowledge. I can't read music for the life of me. I play with tabs when necessary or through memory.

5. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I play the guitar but I'd say I'm not very good at it - it's fun though and the best way I found to learn was to get used to strumming the basic chords (the strings that you press in combination). Download a chord sheet for popular tunes and then follow it; you'll get better with practice.

My first song was Wonderwall by Oasis - dead easy that one!

Google guitar chords along with chords for popular songs and I think that's a good starting point. It's probably not the expert way of doing it, but I think it's the most fun way of learning.

6. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    This. It's best to start with the chords. If your son truly loves the guitar, he can absolutely teach himself. It's all about repetition and determination. As soon as he finds that many of his favorite songs can be replicated by 3 relatively simple chords (D, A, E) he will really begin to become addicted to learning. If his passion begins to grow after learning a bit about chords and strumming patterns, you might soon have an Eric Clapton on your hands!