Has Ebola halted your traveling habits?

Discussion in Travel started by TPhoenix • Oct 26, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much any possibilities can arise when you go traveling to another country outside the one you reside in. But with the outbreak of Ebola lately, have you decided that you're going to put traveling completely on hold no matter where you want to visit, out of fear of the spreading virus? Or are you not that paranoid by it all?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a cautious person in regarding catching germs anyhow, so this ebola outbreak just makes people more away of hygiene. It does make me think about the people around me, but I would still travel. Germs are everywhere so you take responsibility for your own health.

I think now most countries are taking this seriously and have precautions in place. I would not go to the infected countries, but you never know who you are sitting next to and where they came from.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It hasn't reached me yet, but it has reached two cities near my best friends. It has reached New York and Dallas so far. Very scared about it right now because of how many people are in New York. That city is so dense it will spread like wildfire if it isn't contained. Did you see the video of NYC cops throwing away their gloves and masks in public trash cans? Crazy!

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It hasn't altered my travel plans, but it has cemented my feelings against shaking hands with the average person. I am hoping that everyone that I encounter has also decided to take this stance, so there will be no hurt feelings on either side of an introduction.

5. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    It's not in my state yet, so I don't find myself as frenzied as the people who live closer to the effected states. By all means though, I do NOT want any Ebola coming near me, I still disinfect everything around me and I am very germ-conscious when I go to public places. You just never know what kind of disease ridden objects are waiting to be touched out in public, you have to use your best judgement and knowledge when it comes to things like this. I stay away from sick people as well.

As far as traveling, I don't do much of it anyway. So it didn't really put much of a halt on anything or change it. I always stay in my home state.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I totally don't shake hands or give out high fives. I was at a charity event last weekend where everyone was giving each other high fives. I steered clear of that! Ebola is going around and people are high fiving like it isn't a thing.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Given how hard it is for Ebola transmission to actually occur, I would say that I'm not too worried. I'm certainly not travelling to any infected African countries, but I feel that travelling to any other countries shouldn't raise too much concern. Even with doctors returning to the US and found to be Ebola-positive, there has been no spread among the respective states, nor the people who traveled with these doctors on the same airplane.

8. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    No, not at all, not one bit.

I am very concerned for the countries that are fighting Ebola right now - and I hope it can be eradicated soon --- but I am not one bit worried of an Ebola outbreak here. I think statistically I have more of a chance of catch TB.

So no, it hasn't affected my travel plans at all

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can understand why most people would be terrified of Ebola. It's the one disease that can kill you within 4 weeks if you aren't lucky. But it's not like the disease is airborne. If it was then there'd be good cause for panic but since the only way you can get Ebola is through direct contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, then no one should be afraid of traveling abroad. It might be a good idea though to avoid affected areas. Outside of that, I think it's relatively safe to travel to any other place.