Has Hollywood run out of ideas?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Scottie • Mar 21, 2014.

1. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Just talking to a guy at work about this today. I think they ran out of ideas years and years ago. I mean how many Batman movies do they think people need to see? That or they're catering to an audience that has by and large lost it's ability to focus on anything original for more than 5 minutes

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of films seem to follow the same type of storyline I think. For example, boy meets girl, they fall in love, then a situation gets in the way of true love, they are reunited, happy ending. You can almost guarantee the storyline before you even watch it. They just interchange actors and give them a new title.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I completely agree. Hollywood has definitely run out of Ideas. everything that we see on television today has already been done. Every movie is either a remake, or a reimagining. I am sure that no one wants to see them, but we have no choice, because that is all that Hollywood is producing. Hollywood definitely needs some fresh talent. I am surprised that they make any money at the box office anymore. I am finding it harder, and harder to be excited about new releases. I wish they would try new things, because their current business model is getting old.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Gotta agree with you guys. We rarely see a good movie these days that's not a sequel or a botched remake. They even made a habit of remaking good Asian movies and turning them into trash. I think the issue here is that they don't want to take any risks and if they do, it happens rarely. This is why you see lots of action flicks instead of though provoking movies. Action movies with poor plots sell great while deeper movies not so much.

5. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I think I agree with your view that hollywood has indeed run out of ideas. A lot of movies these days revolve around the same storyline and have almost the same plot. And also the huge number of sequels which are coming out of hollywood these days. I think they are just focusing on making bank instead of churning out some quality content.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am convinced they did run out of ideas a few years ago. It has been many years now that Hollywood releases only a few good movies in the year. I was looking at the 2013 movies a couple of days ago to check what I wanted to watch and I was surprised to see there wasn’t a whole lot I was interested in. I feel that before we had so many great romance, comedy and horror movies to choose from and nowadays there is maybe to one or two good ones released throughout the year. I feel like Hollywood needs fresh producers, screenwriters and directors to create movies that are current, relevant and exciting.

7. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I do believe this is true that is why you are seeing different - different novels converted in movies and the superheroes movies it clearly indicates that Hollywood has ran out of ideas that is why they are using the help of novels or the stories that are easily available and are converting them into movies no one is trying to do something new!!!:(

#7Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that they definitely have run out of ideas, they keep either making sequels or remaking old movies.
    On the rare occasions that they come up with a new idea, it's Sharknado...*facepalm*

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that Hollywood has run out of ideas. I'm so mad that the director of that crappy Justin Bieber movie is planning a live action movie of Jem and the Holograms. The Jem doll and cartoon were part of my 80's childhood and I think they were perfect before without someone turning them into a B grade movie with actors who were probably born after the cartoon ended.
    This is why nowadays I watch a lot of indie films and foreign films. At least some of the movies from Japan and Korea still have a spark of originality.

10. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean. Hollywood constantly gives out cliche movies that we've practically seen already. I haven't been to the movie theaters in quite some time due to the fact that there hasn't been something interesting to see these days. Every once in a while, a good movie comes along, but rarely do we see something extremely unique.

I guess the standards of people have degraded and people release shallow-minded movies for the majority to enjoy. Hopefully new ideas can hit theaters sometime in the future.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say so. It all looks rehashed and predictable to me. I can hardly be bothered anymore with Hollywood movies. I prefer independent films, mostly from Europe.
    Perhaps I have become somewhat prejudiced but I feel instantly bored when I hear about Hollywood movies. Nine times out of ten they simply have nothing inspirational to offer to me.

12. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more, no wonder they have been relying on good books to make good movies. Have you noticed that most blockbuster movies of late are based on a book or comics?

13. Skroozey

SkroozeyNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah I think you're right mate. Just how many remakes are we getting nowadays? Not only are we going so many remakes of already great movies, the remakes are often much much worse than their original. However, I still love Hollywood films. Just take them for what they are, in most cases, brainless fun. Still you can get the odd great movie, but even then, they're probably not original ideas. I believe that if you want original content and ideas then you have to look towards TV, shows like Breaking Bad etc that explore new ground.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree that Hollywood has run out of ideas in making movies, because the movies that are taken originally from books and comic books are fast increasing. Well, I can't blame them though if they're already running out of ideas, because they're only human, and there comes a time when someone's creative juice runs out.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, Hollywood has been producing crap movie after crap movie ever since. I mean, I just watched Captain America a few days ago and my God, that movie was awful. I mean, it looks like Hollywood is only relying on the names, faces and visuals to sell their movies rather than a good well thought off and unique movie. But thank God from time to time great movies would be released once in a while, making up for all the crappy once that came before. But I guess its a healthy thing, since you watch all those crappy movies, you tend to notice the better once that came next.

16. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think they have run out of ideas but essentially there are no more exciting movies coming from HollyWood. But in the year 2013 there were some amazing great movies that we all loved. these movies have won a lot of awards such as the OSCAR and BAFTA. I think it is the taste of people that is also changing.

17. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I don't think Hollywood will ever run out of ideas because good movies keep coming out with new twists. I do wish they had more happy endings like they used to. I still see fresh new ideas on the movies I watch. I do think the living dead is getting old. I am tired of watching them. When you have seen one zombie movie, you have seen them all. I did like the one living dead that was a horror comedy.

18. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    Indeed it has. With the exception of a couple special gems that arise one in a while like Inception, we no longer see movies that are very innovative and more importantly, make you really think or be touched. If you guys have seen a lot of European movies, you guys would no what's lacking in these hollywood movies. They lack passion, and not the romantic kind.

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the movies today honestly isn't as interesting for me as it used to be years ago. It seems to be the same tired movie about unknown beings taking over the world and it's really hyped up and you get all excited to see it and you're let down once you see the movie. The last really good movie I saw was about 4 years ago with 2012. Had action/adventure/ humor and it was well acted (for the most part). Now most of the movies out are really stupid.

20. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for heads up on Captain America lol. I was actually thinking of catching that just for the heck of it. I'm glad we're able to see some of the old classics that are actually good on DVD.