Has "springing forward" raised your electric costs?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Esperahol • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    In the past Daylight Saving Time lasted until it became more fesible to turn on the lights, but now it ends when it's still late Winter/ early Spring and the light bill reflects that. The one good thing for me is that I live down South and thus natural light shows up at around 6 - almost 5 now. That said it must be a lot harder for folks up North. Have you seen a very large increase or have you found ways to keep costs down regardless of Springing Forward?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen any difference in my light bill yet, but we live in an apartment with a lot of windows, so we just keep the curtains open and try to use the natural light until it gets really dark.
    Having a lot of windows also means that we don't use a fan that much. So far the bills have been reasonable and we're trying to be careful to save electricity.
    I'm more worried about winter because we'll probably have to use the central heat.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't even thought of that. We've been keeping our windows open to let the breeze in. It's been so nice outside that last couple of days. If it stays like this, I know our electric bills will go down.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt this would make a difference for anyone unless springing forward brought warm enough temperatures to no longer need to turn on the heat. If you live someplace where the temperature is mild and you have windows that open, it might make a difference. Solar power would certainly be more viable with more daylight hours, unlike during winter.