Have you ever accidentaly walked out of a store with something unpaid for?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by clauemi • Jul 6, 2012.

1. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this a couple of times, the first time I was in a hurry and I was at Homeland I think picking up some stuff when at the last minute I just decided to leave since I only had one thing. I walked right out the door with a package of baloney without even thinking about it lol. I didn't even realized I had it until I was in my car.
    The second time I was at Dollar Tree with my kids, my daughter was sitting in the cart and when I was outside putting the bags in our car I found some things she was sitting on top of. Good thing Dollar Tree doesn't have an alarm system or that would have been embarrassing.

2. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    No, I haven't done anything like that but it would be so embarrassing if you did that at a place with an alarm system like Marshalls' where the system actually broadcasts a message out loud.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gone through checkout and forgotten to give the checkout clerk one or two items. It happened in Target. There's a security guard at the entrance/exit. He didn't notice it either. I was too embarrassed to go back in to pay.

4. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I did once lol, because I always grab a drink and drink it while shopping then pay for it at the end. But this time I finished the drink before I finished shopping and walked out without paying. I paid them when I went back to the store the next day.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I was five, it was gum, and my mother had a fit.

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well for me, this didn't happen at a store but rather at a restaurant. I was dining with my friends and the restaurant was at full capacity that day so as we chatted along, we realised that it was beginning to get too noisy for comfort so we just left our seats and walked right out without anyone realising we haven't paid. We only realised what we had done when we were all in the car ready to move off. It was really awkward having to go back in to say we forgot to pay and the staff also felt funny not realising they let us off without paying! But we got a discount for being honest though!

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. Not many times but definitely more than once. It usually happens when I run into someone at the store and we get to talking. As we talk we would be walking. Before we know it, we are outside the store. That's when I usually remember that I haven't paid for what I have taken. There was only once that I got as far as reaching home before I remembered that I hadn't paid for my things.

8. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Funny thread. Yesterday I walked into the golf course clubhouse and grabbed a Gatorade out of the fridge. I started yapping with a few of the guys and ended up walking right out without paying for it. I have never really done that before. I forgot about it until I read this thread. I will drop them a couple of bucks next time I am in.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done that before, but I have seen it happen to other people. Usually they're older people that forget that they didn't pay for their item. If I did walk out the store with something I would go right back in and pay for it. I'm not sure if the cashier would believe me, but at least I told the truth.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this before. In fact, I've taken out the money to pay for something and still forgotten to pay for it. Walked out the door, like "why do I have five dollars in my hand", haha! I went back in and paid for it, though. Every time.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've also done it and it's usually with something small that was supposed to be sitting in the top part of the cart, but slipped down and I didn't notice it until I walked out the door and was standing at my car. I don't know if was embarrassment or reluctance to be watched carefully the next time I went back into the store, but I didn't go back in to pay. I felt bad though.

12. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, with the till, I "Accidentally" walked out of the shop with the till and never returned it. :D Seriously though, I have never accidentally walked out with anything, ever.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can relate to that! Most of the long term clerks know me. I shop there all the time. It's within walking distance of where I live.

14. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I nearly did one day, but caught myself just in time. I was shopping at some kiosk in a mall and I had picked something up and was looking it over. I don't know whether I had a brain drain or whatever but I started to walk away with it in my hand, then realized what I was doing and went up to pay for it. The girl at the checkout just smiled. I watch for the milk in the bottom of the cart because that is an area where I can be forgetful too.

15. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have done it once while shopping in a clothing store in the mall. I had taken an item of clothing off the rail, but as I was carrying other parcels in my hand as well, I completely forgot I still had it. I had walked through the mall with this piece of clothing still on its hanger till a security guard at another clothing store tactfully pointed it out to me. Needless to say I rushed back to return it.

16. Squeesh

SqueeshNew Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately yet I have had a similar situation. Every morning I go into the gas station and get a coffee. Well one morning I was running so late that i went into the station, got my coffee ready, then got a call from my boss. I ended up walking right out the door with my coffee and didn't realize i has not paid for it until around 3 or 4 hours later!

17. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    That's probably the only reason I can imagine to walk out of a store with something unpaid for (it's called stealing, let's be honest :D ).
    I think I've never done this. I keep all things in my hands so it's impossible to omit them or they are in a basket, so the same story in fact.
    But I've once gone home with a security clips on my paid clothes. I realized that only at home and I had to go back so they could unlink it. They were VERY surprised how come I did it..

18. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    Lol that's funny, I could see myself doing that with my scatter brain.

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    When my son was a baby in his pram, I got home from shopping one day and removed the waterproof apron. Underneath were a number of items he'd taken from displays while I was doing the shopping. I was way too embarrassed to go back with the stuff, and there was nothing really expensive there. That was more than 40 years ago, but it made a mark. Even now, I always check to ensure that everything is on the conveyor belt. I have got home a couple of times and found that things have gone through without being charged for, but that's the assistant's fault, not mine.

20. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I have and it has scarred me for life. I went to a video store in a foreign non-English speaking country and rented a movie...and then progressed to walking out without paying!! My excuse is that back home we have an account so never actually do the money transaction at the desk. Anyway as I walked out, the guy at the desk...called out to me "paper, paper". I was a bit tipsy (not drunk) when this all happened....eventually I realized...he meant 'money'....I paid, gave extra and ran out --> never to return.

Horrible experience but I feel cleansed now after the confession! So, thank you for asking the question. (-: