Have you ever been without savings or any money?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 20, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Except those that are born with a gold spoon in their mouths, we can say that we have all been at a stage where we have had no money, little or no savings and had to do a lot that requires us to get done by spending money. How did you get out of that situation where you had no money but had bills to pay? for how long were you in that situation and what are you doing to permanently keep yourself away from such a situation?

2. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have been in that kind of situation, all you need to do is believe that money shall come to you and they will. If you keep an open positive mind, you will attract all the good things in life. After you will have a lot of money don't forget about making savings, you never know when you can go broke again.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Well very well then! That's a nice and positive outlook, I will certainly apply that to my life :) thank you! I am always saving so even when I have little, I still do have something, so that's the positive thing.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been in a few situations where I had no money because I'm a single parent, and I grew up in foster care so I don't have family that I can ask for help.

What I do when I'm in that situation is sell whatever I can on ebay or Craigslist. There were times when I was short of the rent money where someone from Craigslist walked in at the last minute and bought an old bookshelf or an unused espresso machine I got as a gift, and that last minute cash saved the day.
    My purchases have gotten me into bad situations in the past when I wasn't smart about money, and now those purchases get me out of bad situations when I sell them.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've definitely been without money. For the longest time I had no source of income of my own. But still I always had my partner and parents so I was ok. However there was a particular difficult time where my dad had to stop working because of a medical condition. It was a very abrupt thing and we weren't prepared. At that time my parents stopped helping me (I was in university) because they couldn't make it with just my moms income. My partner had to do more for me but he only makes minimum wage. There were times where both my parents and my partner and I had literally nothing. We managed not to get too behind on debts but some days we had nothing to eat, or take the bus to go to school (since my partner had to give his vehicle back to the bank for not being able to pay it now that he had to support me too).

It was really hard. Mostly we survived on the generosity of our families and friends. My partners mom and grandma feed us a lot, while some of my aunts and neighbors helped feed my parents and brother. My grandmas both have some savings that they lend money to my parents so they could pay the most important bills. My partner's coworkers where always giving him a lift from work so he didn't have to walk. I guess we were lucky that both my parents and my partner are the kind of person that always give and help out others, so when we were all in need those people were there for us.

I forgot to say that lasted about a year but we haven't fully recovered. Like my partner still hasn't been able to replace his pickup truck, my parents blew their savings and still haven't saved up again, I'm still paying student debts plus a big credit card purchase I made during that time, etc

#5Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time I had no cash and no savings either. I just couldn't get the right job. That's what keeps a lot of people broke I believe. They can't a job other than the one they want because they believe it's beneath them, they didn't go to school for that long to earn a pittance, etc.

Of course at that time I could borrow money from my parents. It got to a point where I got disgusted with that kind of life. I decided to apply for any open jobs, got one and . . . yeah, that's how dealt with the problem.

7. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    YES, I have experienced this when I lost my job. At that time, I realized that working and spending all your salary at the end of the month is not the right thing to do. It is best to save first and spend within the limit of what's left in your pocket. I also do not recommend applying for credit to sustain your spending habits because it will be difficult in the long term to recover. It is best to save. reduce your debt. get an insurance. and invest.

8. stagsonline

stagsonlineNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I have. I practically used all my savings and the money I had when I lost my first online job. I had worked as a writer for a company for eight months and then one morning, I got an email informing me that the company was closing business. That was a huge blow and loosing it made me go crazy. I guess I was so confused that I din't even realize that I needed to get another job. Four months passed by and I used up all my money to the last coin. Luckily, I had a brother who helped me with money to buy some paints which I started using to do business signs and all manner of paintwork around the neighborhood. It was hard work but I managed to save some money and got back into writing again. This time offering my services to online clients. Running my own small company that offers web content has helped me make significant gains in terms of savings and being able to make a few investments.

9. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hi and thanks for sharing - I did not grow up in foster care, however in college I worked at a group home for children who had been abused/neglected. I still keep in touch with many of the kids (now adults) today thanks to Facebook.

If you are ever in another financial crisis again, please remember you can also go to a local church to ask for help. Often they will help with food and hygiene products if nothing less.