Have you ever bought electronics from Chinese online shops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by PubD • Nov 4, 2012.

1. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I've been looking at electronics and gadgets at DealExtreme and buyincoins and other Chinese based wholesale/retail sites. Some of the prices are pretty amazing, but I'm wary about what I'd be getting for my money. Have you bought anything at these sites? I am so tempted, but money is tight and I don't want to waste what little I've got to spend on things that will break soon after I get them. In particular I was looking at cell phone watches (for my kid, because he's always losing his phone), android 4.0 GSM phones, and Google TV players.

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    First to your question, I still haven;t pulled the trigger with those sites even if their prices are really inviting. The question here is your budget. If you are really on a tight budget but you really need that product then I guess you can give it a go. But if you are not in a tight budget I would say no and just find other sites.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My advice would be to keep your money in your pocket if you have any doubt. My experience with the Chinese websites which offer great deals is that much of the products they sell are of low quality or counterfeit. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

4. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I have not tried purchasing anything from Chinese online shops nor do I plan on anytime soon. I've heard too many bad things about the products to risk it. The prices may be cheap but the quality isn't all that good and it'll break down really quick, especially the electronics. And since you said money is tight it might not be a good idea to buy from them. But that's just me. I'd rather spend the extra money to get something that I know will last a long time (or at least have some kind of guarantee on it).

5. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I haven't bought from the Chinese online shops because they usually try to sell you knock off versions of other major brands. I'd keep my money or go elsewhere.

And the funny thing about it is they make most of the major brand stuff themselves as outside contractors.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends. With DealExtreme, they make no secrets that you're getting exactly what you pay for, and not all of their products are 100% pure quality. However, the business itself is really solid, I've ordered from them with no problems.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Buy electronics in China is a real lottery. I know of cases where people have been very lucky and have acquired very good products at reasonable prices. But not everything is rosy: I met people who were cheated in the quality of products or have acquired poor quality imitations. The ideal in this sense is testing with small products to test the reliability of the page (quality, delivery time, price, etc..). Once with that assurance, you can encourage to buy a more expensive product and relative importance. Choosing the right store, you can have very good results.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I have. I have bought them off Ebay more than once.

I don't expect the quality to be as good, so I take that into account when I'm considering whether or not it's worth buying the cheaper version. I haven't had any problems with any of them yet.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Yup, multiple times. You get what you pay for, though, so if you're trying to save, don't expect the items to have great quality.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would advise you to just keep your money and just save up for the branded items. You get what you pay for, and cheap items really get broken easily. Let me share with you my experience regarding cheap China products. A friend gave me a new earphone that was made in China that costs only $2, but in 2 months, the earphones stopped working. I never buy cheap electronic items, since I go for quality and durability. So if i were you, I'd stay away from items that seems too "cheap to be true".

#10Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    Not Chinese, but Korean, see

I was a little worried at first. I didn't want to risk it. But after a lot of research and reading on other buyer's feedback, I made the plunge. It was not a bad choice at all.

So don't go in blind-folded. Tell people about good deals, let them buy and give reviews. Then go for it (or not). :)

12. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I would save your money and invest in something that is made in the USA. I have had a few Chinese electronics before and they were absolute junk! They actually busted after about a week. Although they were pretty reasonably priced, it didn't make up for only working for about a week. I would save your money for a decent brand such as Kenwood or Denon.

13. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought anything from such shops. I understand that there might be some good sellers selling high quality products but it would take ages to find such suppliers. As most people have already said, Chinese electronics products are not known for their quality; you would be really lucky to get a long lasting product from such stores.

14. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I have bought two usb gamepads (playstation gamepad lookalikes) from a chinese seller. The gamepads work fine, though when I wanted to play a multiplayer game my pc couldn't distinguish between the two gamepads. I was a bit disappointed by that, but I gave the other gamepad to a friend and kept the one. Anyway they work fine otherwise and 4 bucks wasn't a bad price for one.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a tablet from one of these sites. The price was absolutely unbeatable, but it turned out to be money wasted. The tablet was buggy. The touch screen was a little defective. The repairman told me that it was not even worth the time and money to fix because the parts themselves were cheap.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    No, I haven't, and I don't think I ever will. I prefer to buy from reputable, long-standing companies when they have great deals on the products I'm interested in. It only takes one bad deal, and you've wiped out all your savings at a stroke. I'm in the market for a tablet, but I'll wait until I see a reputable brand on offer rather than buy cheap from China.

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't, but my friend did recently and realized that her phone was indeed a rip off. The product looked stylish and worked well and she was pleased.. but within months software issues came up and she had no support. She has had to throw it away.. So I am not sure.. I will say hold on to your money.

18. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    It depends on your judgment, when you have a thorough knowledge on some product, you can find good price and high quality product from chinese supplier.

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I was always hesitant buying electronics from China. I bout a pink mp3 it looked like a ipod shuffle. It was a piece of junk it worked for a couple hours and then it stop and never worked again. The only thing useful was the memory card.

20. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I have not bought anything from a Chinese online store yet and chances are, I won't. You had best be careful, the quality may be questionable and it may not last long. However, the price can be so tempting sometimes. You could give it a try with a cheaper product possibly.