Have you ever bought or sold on Craigslist?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by SEA81 • May 19, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I've been hearing so much about people making money by selling their stuff on Craigslist. I'm just so afraid to do this. I have purchased an exercise bike on there, and I bought a toy on there once for my niece, but selling seems different. I know my cousin tried to sell his car and got scammed, but everyone else speaks so highly about it. Just wondering what experiences you guys have had with it?

2. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have found free firewood from their before, but that is the extent of it. I know my husband tried to sell some of his baseball cards there for 5 grand and the person who was buying them balked because he could not produce a list of all the cards because it was several hundred thousand cards long.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I am not sure about craigslist now...but it used to be great for selling and buying. I used it about 6 years ago to sell my one backpack. I got the amount I wanted, it was all fine. Some people have told me it is no longer like it was, but just trust your gut, ultimately.

4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    We have gotten free stuff off craig's list bought have never sold anything.

5. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    We have gotten free stuff from craigslists, and also bought some used furniture.

I have not tried to sell anything on craigslist. Though I do know people who have made extra money by selling items on craigslist.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have only bought some bar stools once but have never used it for selling anything. I think I would rather just do a garage sale and sell a bunch of stuff in one weekend. Craigslist just seems to have more scammers now than they used to have on there.

7. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I am actually meeting up with someone today to make an exchange for something they are buying from me on Craigslist. I have also purchased from Craigslist. Since I am a female I NEVER meet up with these people alone. Too many stories of crazy people out there and I wouldn't run the risk so I always go with my husband and in some instances have gone with my older brother just in case. The trick with these transactions is to be clear about what you are selling and how much you are asking for. If your price is firm - DONT LET YOURSELF BE SWAYED. Many potential buyers will contact you about purchasing and on the day of the exchange will say "Well I only have x-amount, is that ok" Fell free to say NO because when you walk into a store you don't have the option of bargaining the price of something on the shelf. Some people really try to rip you off and will even show up to the meet up spot with less than the asking price thinking once you are there in person they wont be denied the bargain - BS. Simply tell them no thanks, you screwed me and the sale is off. Just remember - safety first

8. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer bookoo.com over Craigslist. I always make sure my husband is home and only accept cash. I do sell often, in fact I am waiting for someone to show up and buy 2 old laptops.

9. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold chickens on there quite a few time. I've also advertised a rental house on there. Never had any problems.

If you're worried about weirdos, only meet in a public place.

10. tn13

tn13New Member

Threads:
    I've never sold anything, but I did try to sell some concert tickets for a show I couldn't attend there. This was maybe two days before the concert and I ended up selling them to someone at my university, but I got tons of offers on CL. I was selling the tickets for face value at $25 each and I had people offering me up to $40 for them. Some of the emails I got, however, did seem kind of sketchy. If you're selling the right kind of items and know how to detect scammers, I think you can have lots of success selling things there.

11. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I have gotten a free refrigerator that works great from Craigslist. I had sold a couple textbooks that I had gotten the asking price for since it was low. A have also adopted kittens out through Craigslist but put a very small re-homing fee on them so i wouldn't get nut cases wanting them. The key to selling on Craigslist if it's a small item to meet the person in public place like a store or somewhere with a lot of food traffic. Take someone with you if you don't feel comfortable with it. If the item is to big to take to a public place then arrange for the buyer to pick it up when someone will be home with you. My brother-in-law has sold things on Craigslist with great success. Scout out the listings to see if anyone else is selling what you are or similar then maybe price it a little under.

12. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    Well I didn't actually sell anything. I had some baby formula that I did not need anymore because my son had gotten older. I didn't want to put it to waste and I did not know who I could just give it to because nobody I knew had babies. I put an ad on Craig's list to just give it away. It was an easy transaction LOL.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done both. I haven't had any problems. I always met in public place like Starbucks. I have made some extra cash and picked up a few good bargains too!

14. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've sold a cellphone over Craigslist before, and I won't do it again. The guy that showed up looked strange, and he was asking me all types of questions. He asked me where did I live and how did I get here. I just told him do you want the phone or not? I met him outside because I didn't want him going to my home. Some of those people on Craigslist just can't be trusted. I keep my guard up when I'm selling merchandise. You never know who might try to rob you. That's just not a smart idea. I don't want people to know where I live.

15. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I stay away from craigslist selling. The ONLY way I'd even remotely do that is if I'm meeting this person face to face.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    How did he get scammed? Just only accept cash or money order and there's no way for them to scam you. It's worth it for the security and most people understand why you would insist on one or the other before exchanging goods.

17. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you know how many people are robbed, raped, and murdered every year through Craigslist?!
    Stay away. I just read the post for entertainment only.

18. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. Do you have some statistics about that? It would be good to have a look at the actual figures.

19. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've actually bought many things on craigslist. I've never sold anything, but I've bartered things, and I know people personally who have sold things. All of these were successful, with no scams, robberies, rapes, or murders.

20. abbywillow

abbywillowNew Member

Threads:
    I often sell on Craigslist and have also purchased a few things. Yes, you have to watch out for email scammers, but Craigslist actually has a section on their site to warn people about scams overall. So you should be able to safely sell. The goal is to only sell locally. If you sell more than 50 miles from where you live, you can end up getting scammed. And if you are meeting someone to sell something, don't go alone. I always meet away from my home but take my dogs with me.