Have you ever found anything such as money inside a used book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by MrsR • May 6, 2013.

1. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    Have you ever bought a used book and found anything inside of it? I have bought used books and found receipts in them from when the book was bought. One time there was a receipt from an airport, so I guess someone bought the book to read on a flight. I have a friend who once bought a western book at a garage sale and found $20 inside. My sister once found some uncashed checks in a book at a garage sale. She happened to see the checks before she paid for the book, so she gave them to the woman who was having the sale. The woman told her that the checks belonged to her son and they were from people who had given him a check for a graduation present. He had put them in the book and then forgot where he had put them. The checks were several years old, so they had been lost for a long time.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. I used to borrow a lot of books from my uncle and at times I would find a single bill in between the pages. I would return the paper bill to him though since it's just a very small amount. Lol. I later found out that he commonly uses bills as bookmarks and he sometimes forgets to remove them from the books.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never found money inside of old books. I have found old receipts, recipes written on index cards and some vintage type bookmarkers. I still have the bookmarkers. I love to collect them.

4. mansawalta

mansawaltaMember

Threads:
    I have on a few occasion found ten or twenties in a few of my mums book....luckily she is my mym so i always made sure i gave her the money. Apart from that i dont think i have ever found any money in books

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been lucky enough to find money inside a book. I think the best thing I have found was a really old photograph of the Rhine River in Germany. It must have been taken on a beautiful spring day. Even though it was an old black and white photo, you could tell the grass would have been green and the flowers would have been in full bloom. I found the photograph in a library book many years ago and still have it today.

6. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately I have never found anything like money in anything I have ever bought. I normally just find scraps of paper, which were probably used as bookmarks. Sometimes I have found rubbish such as pieces of wrapping too. I am not sure how they got in but they did so I just threw them away.

7. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    I buy a lot of secondhand books because I love the "worn out" look. And yes I have found a few receipts, post its, bookmarks and little notes. That and the torn pages, creased spine and stained pages just gives the book so much character! :D

8. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    No, but one time I found a picture in the book.
    It was probably a trip and shows a lot of kids huddling together for a picture.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I have found in second hand books I have bought from shops have been receipts and business cards that have been used as bookmarks. :(

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I did found an old bill on one of my grandfather's books. It was from an old currency too, so i had to go to the bank to exchange it.
    He passed away long ago, so i don't think he minded me taking it for myself!

11. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't been as lucky as your friend..:D. I also admire her honesty because some would disappear with the check. Anyway, do these people leave the monies intentionally or what?

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that they leave the money intentionally before selling the books, but when using it as a bookmark, of course they intentionally leave it. As for me, I haven't found any "extra item" yet when I bought 2nd hand books years ago.

13. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Yeah once when I have got one book from library I found money inside it. Then I handed it over to the librarian and asked him to return it to the owner if he finds out. :) Hope the owner would have got that. :)

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    That would be the day where your luck comes! I have only found a bookmark inside a used book, otherwise than that, I haven't found any money inside a used book. I think there are a lot of people out there who use a dollar bill as their bookmark, so they can put inside the book. I hope this won't happen that often because I know some people forget to take the money out once they finish reading the book.

15. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I have found is old bookmarks, but they were very old and had a lot of character, so I left them in the book. I have heard stories of people who put money in books, but I haven't found any.

16. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been lucky enough to find any money inside an old book. But I found $40 in a jacket pocket that I got at a garage sale!

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't. When my grandfather died a few years ago though, I took on the job of clearing out his library. I love books, and I know my grandfather had some very old ones, which I find beautiful. He also had a lot of poetry books I grew up reading when I was bored.. old encyclopedias etc. Inside a few, I found recipes written by my late grandmother.. I just loved her handwriting, so beautiful. I also found notes to past owners in the family, with dates over a century ago. And I found my grandfather used books like I use the internet. He was an obsessive learner. I found the real clippings from old newspapers from actual events that we only read about in history books; they were clipped to the pages of the books that coincide. The Encyclopedias held the same. He would have loved the internet for his searches.. all the information he could ever want at his fingertips. He lived to see the age of technology.. he just never joined it. That day in his library was bitter sweet.

18. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, it never happened to me. It would be great to find 10$ or 20$ inside a book. It seems I don't have such luck :(

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found an air ticket. Someone apparently had been reading the book at some airport [in England because it was a London to NY flight ticket] used the ticket to mark his spot and forgot the book along with the ticket. At that time I wondered if the unlucky guy did get to travel in time.

20. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have not found money in a book. I did find a $20 in the shallow part of a lake in a campground. That was interesting see a $20 bill laying in the water. I also found $60 in a pocket of a jacket at a Goodwill store when my son was trying it on. That was a sweet surprise!