Have You Ever Given Alcohol As A Gift?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by hayrake • Dec 15, 2014.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Alcohol is a source for such problems for so many people that I don't usually gift it, or even consider it. I've tasted many things at one time or another, though I'm not a drinker. My husband, however, is. He likes his beer, both summer and winter; and in the winter, on cold days, he likes to sip at something a little bit stronger as well. A cold day, a warm fire and Nascar or a ball game on the tv will put him on the couch with a little glass of one thing or another.
    It recently came to my attention, while listening in on a conversation he was having, that he'd never tasted Jaegermeister. I thought, any man who likes to sip needs to have tasted Jaegermeister at some time in his life. Especially if he likes black licorice (and cough syrup...lol), which my husband does. So, there is a nice liter of Jaegermeister all wrapped and tucked in beside his real gift under the tree this year.
    What about you? Do you ever give alcohol as a gift?

2. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    Yes, I have given alcohol as a gift many times. I have had several friends who actually requested specific bottles for their birthday or Christmas. It was a more common request in my youth when my friends and I drank more often, though. I, myself, have asked for champagne as a gift before. If a friend asked me for some sort of spirit for a holiday, I would trust them to be responsible, for the most part.

3. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Yes every year I get my boss a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka. So far there is always a mail in rebate which is a good think because it is one seriously expensive vodka. As a rule I do not like to gift liquor but there are some occasions when I will bring it as a treat to dinner parties and stuff like that. I have gotten so I buy wines from local vineyards. It is a great way to stimulate our local economy. We have one out of Burt NY that makes wine to die for, the brand is called Black Willow I recommend the Black Widow line, it is berry flavored and very nice, sweet and great with red meat. So far everyone loves this one.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often give alcohol as a gift, I usually know if people don't drink or are recovering alcoholics. It shouldn't be an issue, it's not the alcohol but the user, many people can enjoy alcohol and not abuse it.

Alcohol has a bad image because of drunks and alcoholics, but often it is not an isolated addiction. I have friends who have alcohol issues, but they don't like people to tread around them and not drink because of them.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Theo, I think I've just known my share of drunks in this life. Mean, sneaky drunks; and though I don't really want to judge anyone, I don't want to cause or further any problems, either. It has been my experience that sometimes you just don't know for a long time (maybe not ever) who has a problem and who doesn't. I know about my husband, however. Him I can trust being around when he drinks.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:

I understand and those who struggle I am very sensitive about. I once lived on a retreat and a few bottles were given to us as a gift, so one night we were going to open them, but someone whispered to me that one of the ladies was at AA and we waited until she had gone to bed before we drank. She became a good friend and did not want people to stop enjoying themselves because of her even though she had seen the bottles and knew they had been given to us all as a gift.

Obviously it varies between people; my ex-in law was an alcoholic which everyone turned a blind eye to and I definitely never gave her alcohol, but she used to tell us to go out and buy more as we were bad hosts (we used to pretend we had run out)! She didn't think she had a problem, but she became the problem...

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I too have given alcohol as a gift and will continue to do so. However I'm very careful to whom I give it, because like some people here I too have concerns about closet /known alcoholics. I only give it to people who I know without a doubt have a respect for alcohol and drink it because they appreciate the taste, not because they want to literally fall down drunk. Sadly, there're people within my family and a few friends to whom I'll NEVER in my wildest dreams give alcohol as gifts for obvious reasons.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The problem is I don't drink at all and never even smelled alcohol. The other issue is that I always receive at least two gifts that are alcohol. Now, I don't know if they give me this gift so I can have it when they come over. Or if they want to convert me into a casual drinker which they know I will never be.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That's a tough call, Viper. I think there must be some way to have a bit of fun in finding out why they persist in giving you something you obviously don't want any part of. At least it's not soap, so you don't have to wonder why they're giving you that.:)

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part I generally do not...I like giving gifts that people can get a little more out of than alcohol, but I have on occasion given wine if the person/occasion really fits for it. I'm not necessarily opposed to it.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If someone expressly asks me to buy them a drink if they do something for me then quite obviously my hands will be tied. I'd have to buy the alcohol or furnish the money which will procure the thirst-dispelling-liquid. When there's no obligation to get someone alcohol then I never will give alcohol as gift. Not even to my worst enemies.

12. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    All the time! I think alcohol is the best gift you can give someone. Give them a bottle of whatever (preferable something in a nice bottle) and they will probably be happy. If the person isn't a drinker, the bottles work great as decorations as well.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do, even if I don't drink myself as well. A few of the men in my family are social drinkers and they usually bring out some alcohol whenever they have guests at home or when they're hosting a party on holidays so I just give them alcohol so it would be easy to fiend and they are usually affordable too.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For certain recipients, alcohol is the perfect gift, whether you drink yourself or not. There are thousands of different alcohol brands and dozens of different types of alcohol. The fact of the matter is that you sometimes can't beat giving someone an alcohol they've never tried before as a gift and seeing them love every taste of it. Wines, beers, and hard liquors are always a smart gift option for the appropriate recipient, of course.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I give it to friends who I know enjoy drinking, and whom I sometimes share a drink with. It's always nice to share new varieties of wine or whiskey with other friends, particularly ones that you enjoy. Of course if it's someone which I don't know too well I wouldn't think of gifting them alcohol.

16. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    I have definitely given alcohol as a gift!

I've won some competitions among friends (parties we have where we compete with each other) and the prices are usually chocolates and alcohol. The latter consists mainly of brandy, rhum, whiskey, wine, and hard drinks. If I don't like a particular brand (even alcoholic beverages we receive as presents), I actually re-gift them (unopened, of course!) if none of my visitors are able to drink them before the expiration date. It's not that I don't appreciate what has been given to me, but I prefer that someone else is able to benefit from them instead of letting them go to waste.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like most people have given alcohol as a gift at some point or another? I have never, directly, given alcohol, mostly because as an adult - these days - I rarely have money to buy anybody anything. But when I was younger, my mother used to buy people gifts and put all of the names of the people from out immediate family on the gift card, or the present. But the person who we'd get alcohol for the most was my grandfather. Whiskey, rum. Always the dark spirits, and never anything like vodka.

18. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always get my dad a bottle of whiskey at Christmas, he would think something was wrong if I didn't. He is Irish, lol. I think alcohol is a known gift in this country :D.

19. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    People thinks too much on such kind of gifts whether it is good as a gift or not, but I believe that alcohol as a gift is best idea for celebration. I have given red wine to my staff member on her promotion and we all enjoy that night, normally I prefer Vodka to drink and last month on Christmas, we celebrate drinking party in our office.

20. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I can't say that I felt totally comfortable with it, but the people that received the gifts actually drink. So, I told them and asked them not to drive after opening the bottle and gave it to them. They enjoyed it as expected and everyone safely made it through however long it took them to finish it off.