Have you ever made a payment online, and had your credit card charged a second time for no reason?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Colebra • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    This has never happened to me personally, but has happened to a friend of mine.
    Of course the payment in question wasn't made to a normal store like Amazon. This dude runs a very nice blog, where he goes and debuks online scams.
    I can't remember what the product was, but he cancelled everything, and got charged on his credit card a second time after that.

Has that ever happened to you? What do you do when this happens?

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Oh! I've had this happen once where I paid a bill and the card was charged twice. I can't remember which company it was for but when I called they said it was an issue on their end it would "come off" in a few days and it did thankfully. It appeared to be some glitch in the system.

3. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Now that you mention it, I do remember some other friend of mine, telling me of something similar to what happened to you.
    The credit card terminals can always have a bug or something right? Like sometimes there's an error half way through the purchase, and you have to start it all over from the start, but it still charges you for both times. I think this is how it went down...

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, that definitely has happened. It happened with something I bought in stores though and I guess my card wasn't read the first time around or something so I swiped it again, and I later checked to find out that I was charged twice for my transactions. Definitely had to call the bank to get to the bottom of that one!

Moral of the story: Always check your bank account statements to make sure nothing was charged TWICE!

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I ordered a magazine but paid with PayPal, which was charged twice. This happened on a weekend and there was no one I could speak with directly. So I wrote both the magazine contact and PayPal to let them know I was cancelling the order. Fortunately, it was worked out within a couple of business days.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes!! I had that happen before, I was lucky I called to complain and they were quick to remove the second charge. It's important to get in touch with the company as soon a you notice that this happened.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    That's simple enough - you just need to go your credit card account and look for the specific charge. Beside it there should be a notice button you can press to dispute that charge. You'll need to have some sort of proof, be it an email or the like - and then it should come off without you having to pay for it. Thankfully my credit card companies always contact me if something like this happens. Lucky, huh?

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart.com actually did that to me because they authorized the card once when I ordered the item and again when they actually shipped the item. After the 5 day authorization hold period or whatever, the second charge dropped off. But it was scary when I thought I had been charged $450 twice.

9. Zikkled

ZikkledNew Member

Threads:
    It's happened to me before on my debit card, once with a Chinese site, upon which I immediately thought I had been scammed and that that money was gone for, but I was able to call the bank and deal with it.

It happened once more a couple of weeks ago when I bought some tickets on ticketmaster. Like some others here, first it told me my payment form had failed, so I paid again, and the result was two apparent charges on my credit card. I didn't call the bank this time, but the "failed" payment never actually processed and it was gone a few days later.

10. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I did. Although it was because of the delivery charge that wasn't included in the checkout information the online store issued. But I've since learned to double check for hidden charges and vague information whenever I check out my purchases online, some of them are really sneaky when it comes to these things, especially those 'It's cheaper here than Amazon!' kind of sites.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't had that kind of experience. However, I thought once that I somehow glitched my PayPal account into getting me infinite money. I tried to transfer money to my second PayPal account for my online payment and I was surprised to find out that my PayPal balance didn't run out so I thought that was the opportunity for me to send a lot of money to myself, turns out everything I send gets deducted from my credit card. I also experienced buying something from Amazon for $100 and when I got my receipt I got charged $150 they said there was an error in their system.

12. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    You do have to be careful When shopping online. Only buy from sites like Amazon or Walmart or other big sites like that. I have been ripped off once activating a trial offer for a payment but it was a throwaway credit card anyway. If you use Mozilla firefox, at the top of the address war on there left there is a security ticket. If the kite is green, it is generally safe to shop there.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That actually happens quite a lot. It's frustrating because it makes it look like my balance is way worse than it actually is since it looks like I'm being charged twice. Fortunately, the other charge has always come off easily after a few days.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It has happened to me with Hulu a number of times. I was paying for Hulu for several months, then decided that I didn't want it anymore because I didn't think I was getting much for my money. So I cancelled their service, and all was well for about two more months, then out of the blue they just started billing me again. At first I thought maybe it was something I did by accident that reinstated the service, so I cancelled it again. The next month I got billed again. Long story short, this happened about three or four times, until I finally wrote them a really nasty email about it. They ultimately issued me a refund, but it still bothered me that a company their size would be so unorganized to keep doing something like this. Did they think I wouldn't notice these little charges each month on my card and just let it slip by?

The only other times I can recall where I was billed more than once, was when I would be checking out, and site would crash on me during the confirmation page at the end of the checkout process. I would hit the back button on my browser and get charged a second time.

15. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There was this teeth whitening kit I was supposed to get for free once and just pay for shipping. They ended up charging me multiple times on my credit card for over a hundred dollars at a time. It was so scary! The credit card company knew of this scam and quickly refused all the charges. But they said that if I wasn't careful the credit card company could see me as a risk and cancel my credit card! Its dangerous to get too many scams otherwise you might loose your credibility all together.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once got charged $400 for a bed I ordered from Walmart's website. But since I called them about it and complained, they removed the second $400 charge within a day or two.

17. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had this happen to me but I know people who have. It's even worse if it's your debit card that gets charged twice - it ties up your available funds and could have disasterous consequences for some people.

18. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    This has never happened to me. I am always very careful especially in using credit or debit cards. As much as possible, I try to avoid purchasing and paying online. I always kept all the transaction receipts and would patiently go over them one by one once my bank account statements arrived. This process is a bit tedious but it's worth it.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This happened to me in the past and what's worse was the bank never sent me my bill for that month. The next thing I knew, lawyers were already sending me demand letters, threatening to sue me unless I pay the amount I owed to the bank. To my horror, they charged me twice for a certain service I availed. I couldn't do much to correct the mistake (imagine the long-winding arbitration process) so I struck a bargain with the law firm. I paid everything at once after my terms were met and had my credit card cut for good. No financial problems from that time onward.

20. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've luckily never had that happen to me, but that happened to my parents once. They were extremely mad at the restaurant that did it. The waitress they had was really crappy and the food was awful, so they weren't surprised that they messed up the payment too. :cool: