Have You Ever Made Your Own Ketchup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Feb 7, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite condiment, but ketchup is something I use a lot of; and because I get so many tomatoes (usually) in my garden every year I'm wondering if this year I might ought to try making my own. I'm not sure if I'd want to can it, but it might be nice to make some along while the tomatoes are in season.
    Has anyone here ever made their own ketchup?

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've never made my own ketchup but I've tried a couple that were a nice change from Heinz original. Balsamic ketchup is nice and jalapeno ketchup is good too. There are also tomato relishes that are becoming popular like bacon tomato spread.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw a recipe for it over at the cooking blog, FoodWishes, a while back, but I haven't attempted it yet.

He cooks it in a slow cooker, and it takes over 12 hours to make it though. Also, he uses crushed tomatoes, but if you are planting, and perhaps canning tomatoes of your own you could use those instead.

I tried a slow cooker recipe one time for making caramelized onions, and my whole house smelled of onions while doing it, especially at the end where it required you to leave the lid off. So that was another reason why I was a bit apprehensive about trying this.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Ketchup is pretty cheap so I've never really thought of making my own ketchup. If you have loads of fresh tomatoes lying around consider making pasta sauce or tomato soup instead? I think that they would benefit much more from using fresh tomatoes.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I make loads of condensed tomato soup, and I can tomatoes plain for making salsa and pasta sauce with as needed through the winter.
    Ketchup is cheap; but, like so many things, it is said that there is a world of difference in homemade. Maybe I'll give it a shot just to see, though it might likely be one of those things I do only once.
    Then again, who knows?

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The video is just wonderful. I have never tried making my own ketchup till now but I think I would totally love to. The video provided is very helpful and totally exciting. Thanks for the tips too.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Ketchup is the devil's condiment. I have never been a fan. It masks the taste of things as opposed to complimenting or accentuating them. I equally dislike sweetened pasta sauces. Under the same set of principles. I CAN see making it myself making it a point to sweetened it to the minimalist degree & maybe I can convert myself. I'll give it a go.