Have You Ever Ordered A Book From Your Library?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by H.C. Heartland • Feb 2, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Many people enjoy buying books whether it be ebooks or paperbooks. However, the cost can be very high. One idea that my friend put me onto is that you can order almost any book from your local library. They have a certain amount set aside for ordering books the clients would enjoy and so if they haven't spent it yet, they could very well choose the one you have asked for! The turn around rate is pretty high, so if the book is shelved for too long without anyone wanting to read it, they might end up getting rid of it later. But atleast you would have gotten to read your book. I have known of people who did this when thinking about buying a series. They try out the first book through their local library and then order it if they really like it. Its also a nice idea before you buy a book for a friend. You could read it first and then buy them their own copy.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once my Mother asked me to go get a book from the library. It wasn't on shelf and I asked about it. The librarian said they did not have the book and they may order it. I waited about a month and checked the library's catalog and there it was, so I borrowed it for my Mother. It was a new experience for me for I as long as I lived I didn't know you could ask for a book that isn't on shelf.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Till today I didn't know I could get any book I wanted at my local library. It certainly can be a great way for you to get an expensive book to read if you don't want to buy one. I've seen some books which cost over $1,000. Such are the books I'd order at the library because they can spend that sort of money on books.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have ordered a couple of books from the library, and it is a great way to save money if you are patient enough for the book to arrive. When I was in college I had to order a book and wait for it to arrive at my local library and it saved me like $20. You simply look online through the card catalog and pick out the book you want. If they have the book in stock at another library, then they will send the book to the library of your choice. I also did this with a book I wanted to read for pleasure and it was super easy to do. The library around my house lets you borrow books for 3 weeks so it is a good way to get some good reads for free.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I have been able to use that option as well. In fact, our library will show you a 'waiting list' of how many people are in line for the book you want so that you know how long you will have to wait. That is the only down side; you might have to wait. But that is what helps me realize what a cool deal it is to be able to read it for free. I'm sad that many libraries around the continental U.S. are being shut down. I think free education is a wonderful gift that not all countries have. The more we support our local libraries the more we are supporting our communities. And we are saving our pocket book!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have ordered books through my library. I live in a major city so the library does carry most books. It really doesn't take too long to order a book. It's usually no longer than a month.

I can use the inter-library loan process to request a book that's not at my branch. I can request a book that's in another library system including university libraries.