Have You Ever Shopped At A Restaurant Supply Store?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Nov 2, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had a few of these close to where I grew up, and since we all love to cook, we would spend some time wandering through, looking to see what our kitchens were missing. Sometimes the prices are better than other stores, since they tend to be geared toward large purchasers and selling in bulk.

There are many online as well, so when you're looking for something for your kitchen (or sometimes your outdoor grilling area), it could pay to consider this alternative to the typical big box stores.

Here's an example of just

, and I have purchased from them online before, but it's been a while.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My father used to own a restaurant so growing up I would go to the supply store with him to place orders for dishes and glasses for our restaurant. I always loved looking all the different pots, pans, glasses etc. That same store is open to the public and now I go there to get many of my kitchen items. The prices usually are better. I find some kitchen specialty stores the prices are out of line and it's good to shop around.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, I definitely agree, oftentimes the stores that sell kitchen and home-type goods can be way overpriced. It definitely pays to look around before making your purchases. My family is the type that gives one another kitchen gadgets and small appliances, tea and coffee pots of various sorts, as well as food products, so just shopping in this type of store is sort of like Christmas morning ;).

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always wanted to shop at restaurant supply stores ever since I saw it being featured on one of my favorite food and travel shows but unfortunately we don't have those types of stores here, or at least none that I'm aware of. Most of the cooking stores we have here are geared towards consumers, although on the upside there are lots of cheap options in these stores already anyway so it's almost as good as having a supply store, I guess.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    My parents owned a diner when I was growing up, so I've been to the restaurant supply store a few times. As a person who loves to cook, it could be dangerous for me to go in one as an adult! I love all the cool stuff available. I don't know if it's because I come from a large family or if it's the restaurant/diner background, but I always cook for a crowd which means the restaurant size pots and pans are very alluring to me. I stop myself from buying them or even ordering them online because I really have no need for them.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I still do. I've been shopping at them for about 20 years now actually. Back when I was a teenager working at several local restaurants, they would sometimes send me to the local restaurant supply stores (we have several in our area) to pick up some stuff they were running out of. Not all of them are as open to the public as others. One of the stores didn't have a showroom at all, you just had to call in your order and pick it up at a small service window. I believe they also wanted you to have an account on file with them to bill the products, instead of paying with cash. But others such as Gordon Food Service are just like a regular store, with aisles to browse and buggies to push around.

As you noted, they sell their items in larger bulk sizes, so it can be a bit risky if you are trying something new and not sure if you're going to like it. When possible, you could try and split the item with a friend or two, so you don't get stuck with a bunch of stuff you're not crazy about.

I really like their large bags of frozen vegetable medleys, they have blends that you don't see in many grocery stores, and they're a great price. I also enjoy buying their cases of frozen fish, because they are already individually wrapped and the price is usually better on them vs. what I would get elsewhere.

The frozen steaks and pork chops are hit or miss, since the prices aren't always any better, and some of the products are brined in a salt solution, which makes them taste pretty processed. Meats I usually stick with getting them at the discount grocers instead.

They have good prices on individually wrapped candies and chips and other snacks, which is great for Halloween or even when you need them for a party or event of some sort.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    There are certain things that it makes a lot of sense to buy in bulk, like things that have long dates on them. As long as you know that you have enough space to store what you buy, there is no reason that you shouldn't do this, and I personally think that it is a great thing to do. You can save a lot of money in the long term by buying in bulk, so it is certainly a very sensible thing to do indeed.

8. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I enjoy shopping at restaurant supplies stores. It's the pots and pans and utensils that are a draw for me. There is nothing like buying high quality kitchen utensils from a store that builds it's inventory for restaurants. I have one set of fry pans from a restaurant supply store that I have had since I was young. I spent a little more on them than I would have if I bought them at a general retailer but they have lasted over 20 years and I still love them.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, thanks for sharing this Diane Lane. We don't have anything of this sort here and everything is over the top expensive. I don't even think I've ever seen it anywhere else, maybe because I wasn't consciously seeking it out IDK. It looks like something that could come in handy for a friend who's starting a medium sized catering business here. She's looking to order online, either from the UK or the US, so this may be just what she needs.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    h

I haven't other than Costco, but my dad used to talk about the Cash and Carry in Erie, and he was a salesman for a restaurant supply company. They have them in most cities and they supply restaurants. i found their was one in the Richmond VA area where I live now, so I might check it out sometime. If I can save money...why not ? I say

11. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Oh wow, good luck to your friend, @Lushlala@Lushlala , I hope her new venture works out for her. Hopefully she can look around some and find a good selection of what she needs at reasonable prices. I am so glad that the world has opened up for so many with the development of the internet. It's a shame some areas/countries are limited, especially when it means higher prices for those who can least afford to pay them.

@Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon I've never heard of Cash & Carry, so I'm not sure if we have them here, but I'll definitely be looking into it. My particular area is lacking somewhat, but most everything is available within one or more of the larger cities surrounding here.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Thanks, Diane Lane :) She was tickled pink when I gave her the link, said the prices were the best she's seen so far! She'll be deciding shortly whether to go with it or not. The good thing's that she has family over in North America, so if they don't ship here, she'll just have the stuff delivered to them instead. They in turn will then ship it here.

I know, the advent of modern technology is truly a thing of wonder! Thanks again, mate :)

13. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    Yes, I have shopped at an online restaurant supply store, and found their prices to be better than retail stores for the same cooking items. For me, if the store doesn't require a person to buy in bulk, then it pays off considerably. I've purchased bamboo cutting boards, extra large salt and pepper shakers, serving bowls, and more. I recently purchase a four gallon pitcher that I keep inside the refrigerator to refill my bird bath with fresh water. Those are hard to find.

One I like the best is called WebstaurantStore.com They ship quickly also, which is a bonus if you're in a rush to get your items delivered soon.