Have you ever sold books online?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by True2marie • Jan 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Sites such as

pay for used books. I have thought about working with them to make extra money, but never have. I am just not sure if it's a worthy venture.

Have any of you ever sold books online?

If so, which site do you use?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard people say it's the fastest way you can make money online but come to think of it, people would only pay for books that would help them earn more money. I suppose if you find such books you can make a fortune. For me however, though I tried selling some books on e-bay, I didn't make any money. I guess it's because people don't read much these days.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the kind of books you're selling. They need to have demand if you're looking for big money. Selling books that no one cares isn't going to work. I think selling books isn't what it was used to be, not many people read real books anymore.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've only sold textbooks and I can say from experience that it helps to give full details on the book before going live. Things like ISBN, cover type and condition are really important. If a person is offering something for a low price, the buyer should know why.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I have only ever sold my old college textbooks online after I'm done using them. I typically don't buy recreational books unless I really like them, so if I really like the book I don't usually want to sell it anyway :)

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold textbooks online. I have also even bought books at flea markets that I know amazon's trade in credit is higher than the selling price. There's an app to pull up amazon with the barcode. When I made the switch from physical books to digital, I grouped my personal library into lots by author/genre and sold them on craigslist. I haven't made a lot with any of it though.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sell tons of things online every few days, and it's a great way to bring in some added income. You deal with a few more fees than selling things directly to people on Craigslist, but dropping something in the mail and not having to deal with someone face-to-face is pretty nice. Selling stuff online is so much easier than most people think, and books are especially easy to move because you can ship them cheap and without having to worry about odd-shaped packaging.

8. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I currently sell books online for extra cash. However, I don't make use of book-selling websites like the one you mentioned. I use Facebook because majority of my regular customers are located within my city. I simply post photos of the books on Facebook and allow people to bid. I would then ship the book to the highest bidder. The biggest advantage of this system is that I control everything from pricing to shipping.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't sold any books yet online because I don't think it will be bought. The books that I want to dispose aren't even in demand in the first place.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried but the prices I was offered made it something that I was unwilling to do. I think really, the only books that might be worth selling, are current textbooks. Those tend to fetch some high prices. Most other books seem to only be worth a few dollars. I know some people make money selling books, but it is not me!

11. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I've never sold books before. I have tried to bring them in at a used bookstore and they offered me 99 cents for an entire box of books. I didn't think it was worth it so I ended up keeping them. I also tried selling on eBay but I didn't sell any of them at all. I think I ended up just donating them to a thrift store. I thought maybe I would be able to sell them individually but I didn't have any luck doing that either. It's crazy how expensive brand new books are, but it's so hard to sell them used, even if they are in good shape.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Sure have, and I have to say that I was impressed by the amount that I got for some of them. I did not go the traditional route, however, with my smaller books and novels and things like that because those did not really hit anything on the register and sites like that, but for textbooks that I had lying around I probably got around 200 dollars for some. It is certainly worth the time to look into it if you have any real interest.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't and I don't think that I probably will. It just feels so tedious to me and I don't have the time to do so. However, I think that selling specific books may become profitable when you are able to target a specific audience. I still believe that collecting books is a hobby by many people nowadays, and if you can find rare covers of some books like Harry Potter, and classics such as The Alchemist, then you are definitely on to something.

14. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have sold books on line through ebay but never made a lot of money. At the time my goal was to get rid of them and make some money in the process. This was a couple of years ago. Books aren't big ticket items unless you have textbooks that are in demand. I looked into Bookscouter but didn't have any books they were wanting. The nice thing is that you can put the ISBN in and it will tell you if anyone is buying it. I think with the ease of ebooks that a lot of people are going that route versus the actual book.