Have you ever successfully plant and grow something?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by eppie • Jun 10, 2014.

1. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I was able to but not intentionally. :D

I threw a partially open chili pepper fruit in our backyard and a few weeks later I noticed a young pepper plant with small unripe baby pepper fruits. I was so happy to see it though I know that nature was the one really responsible for growing it since I didn't water it everyday or do anything to help it grow (I just threw the fruit on a soil). :D

[​IMG]
    These are not mine though.

Anyway, how about you? Have you ever planted a plant or tree that you were able to grow successfully? What kind of plant it is and is it still alive?

Looking forward to your replies. :)

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I love planting vegetables and fruits since I was very young. My siblings and I used to compete with each other of who was better in gardening and farming. My favourite to plant were garlic and spring onion.

I planted few mango trees around our house in the village and now we are just waiting for them to produce fruits. One of them was cut down though because it was blocking the electricity cable to our house.

I also am good at planting white chili pepper and few other types of vegetables. But for some reason which I never understood, planting flowers never worked for me. Every time I planted one, it just dried and died. I never managed to grow one in my life :(

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My primary occupation is farming. Planting, caring for and harvesting crops is how I make money. Successfully growing crops and caring for them until they mature isn't as hard as most people think it is. As long as the climate permits it, you can grow virtually anything you wanted to by simply broadcasting the seeds on tilled land, doing some weeding and watering if there's no rain.

It's rather simple.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess some people are just born with a green thumb like Denis. :D

I sometimes wonder why I didn't get my parents' planting skills. When I was young we had a small farm planted with lots and lots of fruit bearing trees and different kinds of vegetables. I remember we had peanuts, avocados, garlic, mango, tamarind, yams, string beans and many others. I terribly miss that farm. :(

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    In a similar manner to your throwing out fruit, I have managed cucumbers, tomatoes and melons from seedlings that started in the compost pile. It seems that every year we get a few things sprouting early enough to transplant and grow to full size. We are fortunate to have hot weather, a lot of sunshine, and an abundance of fresh water. I plant a number of things each year but it is the freebies that are in the compost that are my favorites as they are an unexpected bonus.

If I were to plan better, I would hold on to the seeds from a few of my veggies from the grocery store and plant them in the early spring. I could probably avoid having to buy many of my plants and seeds.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, they truly are an unexpected bonus. :D I was able to grow tomatoes too (accidentally of course) but I was not able to take good care of it and it died after just a week. I believe some garden pests snack on it. :confused:

Can you tell something about the compost pile? I've come across it a lot of time before but never really knew exactly what it is. Can I create it on our small backyard?

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am successful with house plants. I can grow ferns and other greenery in my place without fail. The trick is NOT to over water them and re-pot them as soon as you see brown growing around the edges of the leaves.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am quite good with growing things. I tend to understand what plants need, the kind of soil they require and light and water conditions. But it isn't hard at all to grow vegetables, fruit or herbs, you just have to pay a bit more attention if you grow them in containers. I have grown all kinds of things over the years, usually outdoors in various gardens that I had. I love my own organic produce. :)

9. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I planted broccoli seeds and I had a very successful crop. I got about 50 good heads of broccolli. I used it for making stir fry and it was great. One thing I should have done was plant it in intervals. But all in all it was a good crop and a good experience. I also planted carrots which were good. I would just use them as I needed them. Another time I planted lettuce to use in my salads over the summer.

10. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I have talked about this a lot, I don't want to duplicate a lot. But I love to garden! I love veggies, flowers, herbs, you name it. I especially love it when things 'volunteer'. I work each year to save seeds, but very few things come up from my own seeds. This year tho, I discovered some lime basil that was just coming up by itself. It took about three years, it wintered without any attention from me, it was just in a supposedly empty planter box. I totally forgot about it. I thought this year it started some weeds, but I looked and no, it was some of the lime basil I had about three years ago! How cool was that. It isn't even my fave kind of basil, but there it is in abundance, I am so proud! Also, this year, a tomato plant started from some old soil, had to have been from a couple of years ago, as last year, I didn't have any tomatoes. Actually there were about three, and they didn't make it, and this tiny one may be the same, but hey, it is still so cool. :)

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I grew quite a few plants in this life of mine with good success. Let's see: tomatoes, onions, garlic, beans, eggplants, cabbage - these were all grown by myself. Corn and potatoes I farmed together with my grandparents, great times! I think that with a little reading and the proper conditions most people can grow food by themselves. And the results will be great: more money in your pocket and a healthier life :)

#11Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  12. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    We have a few herbs growing in our kitchen windowsill so that we can reach out and grab a little fresh herb when we're cooking. Mint, basil and peppermint are the ones that are currently fully grown, but we're working on some more as well. And although we're a little late, we're starting a vegetable garden with the kids next week.

13. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely do not have a "green thumb," but even I can plant things and get them to grow when I keep things small and simple. Growing your own garden is an awesome way to save money and get plenty of fresh veggies in your family's diet!

I use the

method. It costs a little money to set up, but once you've got it going, it's easy to maintain. Even a city girl like me can make this work.

garden.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Haha, that's awesome that it was completely by accident!

We've had that happen a few times when I lived out in the country. We used to throw out food scraps for the wild cats. Every so often, we'd see a random tomato plant, cucumber plant, or watermelon plant, haha.

15. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Gardening has been part of my life since I was very small and helped my gram weed her gardens. Well, I'm sure I made more of a mess than I helped, but it's part of learning :). I also have a lot of house plants, I end up giving away dozens of starter plants every year. I stay away from Cacti because they aren't "needy" enough!

16. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    When I was a kid my father had a great garden in the backyard. Tomatoes, cucumbers, and all sorts of varieties of squash. There's nothing like plucking a tomato straight of the vine, adding a bit of salt, and just biting in. He'd also fry the squash, so it was a good way to trick me into liking vegetables and an early age! The garden fell by the wayside, though, after I won a mint plant in a raffle and asked him if I could plant it in there. After about a week it grew ten times its original size and took over the garden completely. On the bright side, it smelled really nice.

I talk a lot about starting a garden with the wife. With the amount of critters running around the neighborhood, though, I think we'd have to put that idea on hold for a while.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not really tried planting a plant recently or in the last few years, but I have tried planting a plant when I was a kid, I think it was a papaya seed and I left it in the ground and I remember watering it too occasionally, but I never saw the seed grow, unfortunately. I won't mind trying to do it again when the thought hits me.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had a garden out doors for years, I grow tomatos, green peppers, green beans and a few other plants. Every spring I start my garden in the house in small cont.ainers, when it gets warm enough outside, I transplant them to the yard or containers. I compost my kitchen scrapes, coffee grinds and bananas are great for helping your plants to grow and produce lots of fruit.

19. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have successfully planted and grown quite a bit. As far as fruit, I have successfully planted and grown mango, pineapple, soursop, sweetsop, papaya, and many others. I am currently waiting for my first harvest of bananas and plantains. For vegetables, I have successfully planted and grown zucchini, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and many others.

20. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, in fact the first thing I ever remember growing was a TREE! When I was very young I planted an acorn right in the middle of the front yard and an oak tree grew. I just went and looked at google earth and it is still there, though some of the pine trees were cut down. That tree is about 40 years old now! I have also grown citrus fruit, peppers, tomatoes, roses, carrots, squash, cucumber, and many other things. I am excited about getting to garden this summer. We just need to get someone to come till up a spot in the yard for me.