Have you ever used coffee grinds as a hair conditioner?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • Dec 12, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I come from a long line of beauticians. They always stressed to me the importance of using a high-end hair conditioner versus a cheap one. The more money spent was supposedly a guarantee on quality.

However, I recently saw a show where a woman used coffee bean grinds to condition her hair. She said they worked well. Her hair was long and flowing. I am curious. Have any of you ever used

as a hair conditioner?

2. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of that, but now I am interested. I might look stuff up on that later.

I haven't used ground-up goffee beans on my hair, but I have used other things found at home such as avocados, mayonnaise, olive oil, and some other things. The things I tried are supposedly supposed to soften hair and/or add nutrients to it. I used to try home remedies a lot because I used to dye my hair a lot and would try using the stuff as a leave-in conditioner for a couple hours. None of that stuff really worked.

How did coffee beans benefit the lady's hair? How often did she use them in her hair?

3. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting... I've only used ground coffee beans to dye my hair. I wanted to give my hair a richer brown color. It didn't do much since my hair is already a dark brown. But it was worth a try. :D I also gave the recipe to my mom for her gray hairs. And it worked quite a bit. It took several tries but we started to see the difference within a month. Anyway, it's nice to know it can also be used as a conditioner too. I guess you can say, it is like henna, 2 in 1.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that before. It would be interesting to try it out to see if it really works. So far I have only used the usual conditioners on my hair, and I'm quite satisfied with the results. Let's see if coffee grinds would do a better job.

5. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of using it as a conditioner but I have heard of using it to help brighten up the color of your hair especially if you have brown hair.
    I'm not sure how it would be used as a conditioner but its a good thing to look up. When I feel my hair is getting dried out I leave a little coconut oil in it for 30 mins. This really softens the ends and makes it shiny once I rinse it out.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine that it would smell good and since when did coffee have any moisturizing properties? Sometimes these 'hacks' aren't healthy or a good idea.

Hair conditioner depends on the type of hair you have, so one should never generalize. You can over condition your hair, and using the wrong type can make your hair heavy.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Me too I've never heard of coffee grounds for hair conditioner or hair coloring. I've heard of using old coffee for a brunet hair color, but not the grinds for hair coloring. I think coffee grinds are good to use for some plants to keep insects away too, not sure though about it. I'll look into it when I've the time, thanks.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    First of all I think the notion that "if it cost more than it is worth more" is a really silly thing to think. There are many times where the same exact ingredients are in products are much cheaper than the "high quality" name brand variety. You have to remember that a lot of these products are just names and nothing more.

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never used the grinds in my hair but I’ve used them as a body scrub before. If you mix the grinds and a little olive oil it makes a great body scrub. I highly recommend this as its all natural. The only problem is that it does clog the drain.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Is she using the grounds like some type of scrub for the scalp? Is the caffeine helping to help the hair grow or something? I wouldn't do this simply because i would have to waste water trying to get it all out the hair. Then I would worry about any type of irritation if something gets left behind by accident. Hair will grow anyway without the coffee grinds.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is the first time I'm hearing of this but I guess it's possible. I'm sure there was a time when people used natural resources back when commercial shampoos and conditioners haven't been invented yet, and it's perfectly possible that they did use coffee grinds I guess. If it does work I think it would be a good alternative since I'm sure the conditioners you get at the store have a lot of chemicals in them. The only thing I'd worry about with this method would be the smell though I'm sure it can be washed off easily.

12. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried this because we usually just stick with the conditioners that are found in malls and boutiques. We don't really try natural conditioners because we don't know how it'll affect our hair. However, if it does have a positive effect on your hair then you should continue using it.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I'm hearing about this method! I'm not even sure I'd use it on my hair because I doubt very much it would have any positive effect on my hair type, which is very coarse and frizzy. So I really need something that's very moisturising to bring back the moisture into my hair.