Have you gotten rid of your cable television package?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Jan 7, 2013.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It's been nearly five years now since I decided to opt out of getting cable. I found that it was a waste of money, most of the shows that I enjoyed (The Critic, Seinfeld and the old Simpsons) can be viewed online or rented, all of the news I can get is on the Internet and I don't care for commercials (sorry, I'm not going to be paying $50 per month to watch commercials for products I will never buy).

The only thing I miss about cable is this channel called Turner Classic Movies (Tcm), which everyone seems to have. It has all the old movies that I enjoy, but it's still not worth it to me to spend $50 per month plus tax and all the other fees.

What about you? Have you or do you plan to get rid of your cable package?

2. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah it has been a couple of years for me. It was budget related. I decided I simply could not afford to pay for both cable T.V. and for internet. So either or and internet won. It was not a hard decision for me to make. I am tempted by Netflix but I do not have one of the assorted pieces of electronics that would allow it to be viewed on the television (which is not used exclusively as the dvd player monitor.
    There are things I miss, I miss news but I do use internet news sites.
    There are a few other things I miss but I do read a lot more.
    Ryder13

3. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    We just did this recently. The hardest part was Nickelodeon and Disney channel for my kids. But we have netflix and everything we want it on there.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a cable television package, actually, but recently a friend of mine gave me the password to his online netflix account. He offered it to me for free, but I've been paying him a few dollars for it anyway.

5. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I love Turner movies!!! I don't pay for cable, but I get a lot of the paid channels anyway via my Internet hookup. I like it okay, some of the paying channels I don't get, but since I'm not paying for it, it is just fine with me:)

6. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    We currently have cable, but I already decided the next place I move won't. Nothing's in my name's here, I was the last person to move into where I live now, so everything was already done. When I live alone I'm keeping internet and Netflix (which we recently got) and leaving cable be. I can never find anything interesting there I can't find on Netfix or the internet, so why pay the extra for it?!

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't yet.

The main reason is that I have my cable, phone, and internet purchased through a bundle. If I drop one of them, the cost of the others go up. And yes, it works out to only being a few bucks more total in order to keep cable, so I go ahead and hold onto it. I can't justify dropping the service that occasionally gets used, only to pay almost the same amount anyway.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have cable tv, but my dad intends to subscribe one of these days so that he can watch more channels. It would be more practical if only he knows how to use the internet, but he isn't really interested in learning how to watch tv shows online, so he intends to subscribe to a cable provider.

9. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    We have things bundled. I am trying to convince my family that we will be ok if we did get rid of the cable and keep the internet for streaming. But my wife wants the cable for news, which I kind of understand since we just had some REALLY bad storms come through yesterday and we were glued to the news.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have cable TV. My roommates have the bundle package, cable, internet and phone. When I move, I will not be getting cable. I can watch most of my favorites shows online. It really doesn't make sense for me. My roommates are really computer users. They prefer to watch TV.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We dropped the bundle some months back. We just have the internet now and use netflix and online movies for entertainment. We also rent movies from Redbox or the library. We are saving money by not having the cable connection.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We got rid of our subscription a while back - They aired almost nothing interesting, and then they started slashing their channel pool, so we just cancelled it.. Honestly, they slashed the only two channels worth anything, so, what's the point. :)

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got rid of cable in 2008,( I think), and I watch all my shows on the internet. I don't even have Netflix but I find an amazing amount of free TV shows on the free version of Hulu, Crackle, a site called Project Free TV and Youtube.
    Now that people are allowed to upload longer videos, you can find full length movies and TV shows on Youtube.
    I'm watching an entire season of Extreme Couponing for free on Youtube right now.

The only time I feel a pang of regret at not having cable is on New Year's Eve because I used to watch the New Year's Eve show with Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper. But I did find a live stream online of a different New Year's Eve celebration, so it was better than nothing.

Cable is so not worth it if you have an internet connection to watch shows online.
    If cable companies don't start lowering their prices, they'll eventually lose all their customers because the only thing you're really missing out on by watching online is the commercials.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I just recently came across a web site called Project Free TV that has listings of all the shows available online. Granted, these aren't *legally* being shared, but you can generally find what you're looking for a day or so after it's air date - in my experience so far. I honestly don't care if it's legal or not since the cable companies have been collecting thousands of dollars from me over the years for hundreds of shows I don't even watch. Then to make matters worse, they allow advertisers to run obnoxious commercials with the volume levels nearly twice as loud as the programming. Not to mention, the average length of a program has shrunk over the years to make way for more ads. Practically half the time you spend watching TV these days is all ads.

15. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    No. My mom and dad don't even know how to download a YouTube video, so I highly doubt they'd enjoy browsing Netflix or looking for other sources to get to watch the shows they like... after all, they're the ones paying for cable :p As for me, I really like having some channels like Sony Entertainment (where we get most of what's on NBC) and iSat (that has a bunch of great series and not-so-popular movies), so no, I wouldn't like getting rid of it even though I could just look for what to watch online.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't yet but I'm heavily considering it. There are only a few shows I really watch through our provider anyway- the rest is netflix, redbox, etc. and it is a lot of money for 400+ channels I almost never use.

17. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I currently don't live on my own at the moment, but what you said is true. Anything that I'd want to watch I could actually find it online and watch for free. When I get my own place, I just might consider not purchasing a cable package because they truly can be expensive.

18. pamelalalove

pamelalaloveNew Member

Threads:
    I can barely remember the last time we had cable since it's been so long ago. We ditched cable for internet as well and this was before netflix, and it was because we could barely find anything worth watching on television. There would be maybe 1 or two shows I enjoyed watching and it just wasn't worth the bill. Now we use hulu, netflix, crackle, and certain networks show full episodes of their shows on their website. We save a lot of money doing it this way and as tempted as I am to see whats out, I don't think I'll ever go back to cable, it's unnecessary.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently pay the equivalent of 110 dollars for my Sky satellite subscription and I am seriously considering cancelling it after over ten-years. Sky don't seem to value loyal customers, prices are rising and I have had enough.