Have you noticed how expensive free weights are?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by troutski • Aug 19, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So free weights under 10 pounds often cost less than $10 each. However, the price starts to rise noticeably once you go higher. A 30 pound free weight might cost $30 to $50, depending upon the materials and brands. I know it costs money to produce all that weight, but it's still a hefty price tag for stone/rubber/whatever other materials are used. Have you found free weights at lower prices anywhere?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah they can be really expensive. You can always go for pre-owned ones to save money. I'm not really sure where you can get them, though. I bought mine at a gym equipment store and invested quite a lot of money. Maybe you can search online or check out thrift stores.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it's true, they are bloody expensive. That's why when I needed some for my home training sessions I bought some used from a friend that wanted to get rid of them. They were in good condition and I saved quite a few bucks. As for why are they so expensive, I can't explain it - maybe the materials are at fault? Then again, I'm guessing they use iron and such, then apply a layer of rubber to give a better grip.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, they are very expensive. Here is a way you can make your own from home: 1. used a gallon milk jug filled with something heavy as a kettlebell. 2. Fill socks up with something heavy like sand or beans, sew up the other end, then make them into wrist weights or ankle weights. 3. Fill up empty tin cans with concrete, put a pipe in one end. Then when it is dry, do it again putting the dried ends in the wet end. When dry you have dumbbells. Just a few ideas.

5. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    H.C. Heartland, those are some really good suggestions.

The set my husband and I have is like this:

Cap-Barbell-40-Pound-Dumbbell-Set.

You can add and remove the plates to get a variety of different weights, so they are really quite versatile and doesn't take up much space.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    These are really nice ideas. I did buy dumbells at a dollar store, the one that can be filled with water. I was very much pleased with it untill the dog chew on them. I replaced these with soda bottles instead. A drop of bleach is added to prevent build up of moss inside.