Have you seen the website Scribd for e-books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by jdwriter • Jul 23, 2014.

1. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    If you haven't, you should definitely check it out.

is a model that is exactly the same as Hulu or Netflix but for books...and the best part about it is that publishers - the BIG publishers - are signing up as well. Now, Simon & Schuster, Harper Collins and others are on board. I've found almost every book I want to read listed on this site.

It comes with a free first month, but after that, it is $8.99 per month for unlimited content. If you can read 20 books a month, you can get them from Scribd.

This is a game changer!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought that as long as you upload content there then you can download the documents and ebooks there free of charge? I guess they're now starting to charge users because the big publishers have just started to sign up. Before, getting content over there was totally free. Oh well, I guess they got smart and have started to charge users for it.

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have been a member of Scribd for two months now and I find it enjoyable. They have 2 major publishers signed up so I have yet to run out of material to read. I race through books and was buying too many on Amazon so this was a good compromise for me at just $8.99 per month.

Amazon has recently came out with a similar "Netflix for books" service that I might sign up for. They are $1.00 more but offer more titles. I am planning on trying out the free trial to see if its truly worth the extra dollar. Something tells me it will be since Amazon offers popular series' like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. There have been so many times that I have wanted to re-read those series. However, I don't because I do most of my reading on my tablet in bed with the lights off...while my husband sleeps next to me. This would be a great way to access those books again without disturbing him. I honestly can't see Scribd (or any other similar service) surviving much longer now that Amazon is on the prowl.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a very good idea for a service, unfortunately for me I read through books very slowly because I only have the time while in bed trying to fall asleep, which leads to me read through the same page for a few days in a row sometimes :)
    I can see this becoming a huge success as long as they have very varied styles and genres of books.

5. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Even if you read through books slowly, you can still get $8.99 worth of value per month. If it took you two months to read each book it would cost the same as buying a normal paperback, and it would take 3 months to match the cost of a hardcover.

My wife and I consume huge amounts of e-books, and a lot of other content as well. This service rocks for people like us, as long as the publishers don't decide against it.