Have You Swapped Your Cable for Netflix?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by LindaKay • Apr 22, 2013.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I did. When we moved, Dish Network told me that I would have to pay $120 for the "Dish Movers" program, even though there was already a satellite dish installed and the wires were run through the floor already and everything. I thought this was ridiculous, so I switched to Netflix, and I definitely like the fact that I only pay $8.55 a month for Netflix instead of $74 for satellite. Although I do miss some of my channels, there are still plenty of things to watch on Netflix, and the savings are pretty amazing. Has anyone else made this switch?

2. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    I'm a dish subscriber and have been for a number of years. I want to let go, because I'm not as concerned about movies. I watch probably four channels out of 200+, but I think I will miss my H2 channel most. I guess I can go online to watch repeats, but the few times that i watched hulu, the video buffers and stalls. Thats quite annoying.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I can't swap cable for Netflix :( One of hte main things we watch in my house is sports, and there's no good way to watch those without cable or satellite :(

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I do kind of miss satellite, but I like the money that I am saving. When I am in a better financial situation, I might get it back again. I'm not a big fan of movies either, but my boyfriend is, so that's mostly what he watches on Netflix. There are also plenty of TV shows on there too, though. I watched all 180 episodes of Desperate Housewives -- my favorite show ever. *blush* I also watch Law & Order: SVU, Breaking Bad, Deadly Women and a few other shows. I do miss Lifetime and the Lifetime Movie Network, though, that's for sure...I've been watching those channels since my teens.

5. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I like Netflix when I am on my own I will probably have Netflix in place of cable or satellite. I would take good internet over anything really even phone service. I can do anything with the internet anyways.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I've considered it, but my internet connection is so sketchy that I wouldn't be able to watch something without constant buffering and pausing. Besides, since I don't have a rather "new" TV with an HDMI port, I'd have to watch them on my laptop, and no one in my family would be happy to watch something in a 10" screen.

7. sking61

sking61Member

Threads:
    I have to do so it only makes since. Netflix has so many movies and tv shows. I have watch several tv shows on Netflix that I didn't even consider to watch on tv. I honestly think buying a package with HBO and Showtime is a waste of time. There always showing some old movie all throughout the week that I must of seen a at least 10 times. Netflix has really taking over the blockbusters out of my town. Every store that I go to whether it be a supermarket or a convenience store has a Netflix box inside of it. I think it was a genius idea who ever came up with it.

8. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    We have Sky. We only got it this year with a one year contract. However, it's really quite expensive for the quality and number of shows/channels it provides. They have different upgrades, but the cost just gets to be too much. We're definitely going to drop Sky as soon as the contract is over. Netflix does seem like a good option now, especially as we have a PS3 which has the Netflix app.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Never swapped. Just never had cable at all. We have a digital converter box and "rabbit ears" so we get all the major networks anyway. But Netflix has been good enough for us and we rather enjoy being able to watch several episodes of something in a row when we get hooked. Honestly, I'm kind of over not being "caught up" on the latest of every show.

This is my husband's only complaint. We used to have AT&T for our Internet at home which came with free ESPN 3. He wants to switch back.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have basic cable and Netflix. My roommate watches cable. She doesn't really care for Netflix. She likes to watch the latest show and most of the stuff she watches isn't on Netflix. She pays a good portion of the cable bill. I prefer Netfix. There's not much that I watch on cable that can't be found on the Net. I pay for Netflix streaming since I ordered it and it's my preferred way of watching TV shows.

11. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    I got rid of cable on Jan 1st. Its the best thing I ever did. Most of the stuff we watch you can view online on their website or on the ipad with their apps. I do have Netflix which fills in the gaps. The adjustment was harder for my boyfriend than it was for me or the kids. We actually spend more time doing other things instead of channel surfing for something to watch and watching things just because they were on.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I been thinking about it for a while now. My bill seems to be getting higher and higher each month so I started out paying 30 a month after a year I paid regular price of 70 bucks a month now some how my bill is 150 a month and this month its over 200 so i'm seriously thinking about sticking with Netflix and hulu it'd be a lot more cheaper.

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    This was what happened to me 5 years ago when I switched from cable to Netflix. I saved a lot of money by switching to Netflix because I didn't really have time to watch cable TV like I used to before. I decided to make the switch because I could watch any movie I want, whenever I want. Another reason was that the cable company overcharged me, which had made me really frustrated.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We got rid of cable some time back. The cost was too much for the service received. We do have Netflix and use YouTube to watch most shows. I am not a big TV fan so I don't really miss it.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Basically, yes, though I don't use Netflix exclusively. I just have found a variety of sources to get all of my TV shows over the internet without paying extra for a cable subscription. I don't mind watching them in a lower resolution - the benefits far outweigh the con's. For one, I don't have to suffer through all of those god awful commercials which are super loud and they repeat the same ones over and over again. I also don't have to remember to program my DVR to catch all the shows I want to watch - not to mention I don't have to deal with conflicts when one or more shows are airing when I need to record them at the same time. All my regular shows, I can pretty much find streaming the next day on The Pirate bay or file hosts such as Putlocker and others.

16. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. Although i do think it is a good alternative, if you have no other choices. Netflix takes a month to add new episodes of shows to their service. That is simply to long of await for me, and like the poster above me said. Without cable you are going to miss out on live sports.

17. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    No, we have both. I don't really watch much tv but my family does and they'd miss out on a lot of shows without cable. We have Comcast for our tv/internet (and I think maybe for cell phones too) so I'm not even sure if it would save much money because of the plan we're on.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For 6 years, I had no cable at all and only watched TV on the internet with Hulu and Crackle. Now I have DirectTV for $44 a month because it's bundled with my phone and internet. If/when the price goes up, I'll likely go back to online streaming. But for now, it's convenient to have shows spontaneously come on TV without clicking on thumbnails.

19. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    We went back to having cable now. I was able to get a good bundled package. I'm happy to have it back, but I think the online streaming option is a good one if you really want to clip costs.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do use Netflix, but I must admit that it's severely lacking in some options and it's filled with a lot of crap, too. So while it's cheap, I don't expect that it would be a complete replacement for a lot of people. Combined with maybe renting movies or using other online services, it could still be a lot cheaper than purchasing monthly cable or satellite.