Have you switched from incandescent to LED Christmas Lights?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 3, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LED Christmas lights tend to be a bit more pricey than the incandescent ones, but they may pay for themselves over time. They use less energy to operate, so that's always a good thing. They also create less heat, so less danger of fire. Always good too. I really need to buy some new Christmas lights anyway, so I figured I'd go for the LED ones this time around. Have you made the switch? I even read that you may be able to get a discount on new LED lights at some stores if you bring your old incandescent ones in and trade them in. Cool.

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been waiting for my incandescents to die so I can make the switch. It's never going to happen, though; because every year I end up replacing one or two strands of the incandescents to finish out my tree. The idea of trading the incandescents in for a discount on the LED lights sounds interesting to me, but my tree is up already. I wonder if they will still offer that option after Christmas.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought new Christmas lights yet, but I will definitely make the switch to LED when I need to buy a new set. Aside from energy savings and increased safety, I think that LED lights in general also last much longer than traditional lights. Most LEDs have a lifespan of at least a decade, and that is considering moderate use. I think that the lifespan would probably be longer for Christmas lights since we don't use them very often outside of the holidays.

4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't really like LED lights especially on trees and indoor displays - I find the light too bright and obnoxious and I don't like the colored version of them either. I prefer traditional lights though they are getting a bit harder to find.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as I'd like to, I just can't. They annoy me to no end and give me a headache looking at them. I don't find them christmassy at all for some reason. Just something about them.. such an awful glow. I really detest them lol. Hopefully I'll always have the lights I have, because something tells me they'll be harder and harder to get. In my old city, I had to stop taking my traditional walks around the downtown core to look at all the lights etc because they switched and it gave me a headache lol.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't put up Christmas lights anymore so there's no need for trading them in, but I think that promo is great because it's a win win for both sides since customers get to have new and more efficient lights while retailers get profits. I just hope they are doing something good with the old lights instead of just throwing them away.

7. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really thought about it before. I would always to go WalMart or some place like that and just pick up some lights. Sometimes, I would even pick up a tree (but I really prefer all-natural trees). I think LED lights are something that I'll look into.