Have You Tried Hot Dog Salad?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TPhoenix • Oct 21, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    My low carb diet requires me to eat as healthy as I can without consuming little to no sugars or carbohydrates, so I figured I would try a new menu and make salad with slices of hot dogs to compliment it right on top, along with some caesar dressing. The taste is not far off from chicken salad at all and I can see myself eating this often, as both products are easy to prepare. Have any of you stepped out of the norm and tried a menu you've never tried before? And have you guys tried eating hot dog salad?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never tried hot dog salad, but I've made teriyaki hot dogs, hot dog fried rice, hot dog tempura and stir fry hot dogs and veggies.
    If you are having money problems, you can use hot dogs as meat in a lot of things. In the past, I've had to be really creative with hot dogs when I was low on funds.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I have not! But that sounds like a pretty good idea. You could always make it taste different too by cooking the hot dogs different and adding different dressings. Man, now I'm hungry. I want to make some.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not quite understanding what you are after here - is there a reason you are choosing to make chicken salad with hot dogs and Caesar dressing instead? The later sounds like it would be much less healthier for you than regular chicken salad. Hot dogs are filled with fat, sodium and nitrates, as opposed to a fresh chicken breast which can be simply poached.

I suppose if it's a cost thing, and you are able to get hot dogs cheaper than fresh or processed chicken, that might be an option. I've seen Jenni-O brand turkey hot dogs sell for only $1 a pack, which is hard to beat for proteins. If I were to use them over a salad, I would probably try to fancy them up a bit by cutting them on a diagonal and grilling the pieces, so they look a bit more gourmet. There is also a method where you insert a skewer lengthwise, then cut a knife through the hot dog at an angle half way till it hits the skewer, then roll the dog while cutting down the remainder of the hot dog forming a spiral, much like curly fries.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah some reasons besides what I've mentioned are time constraints and a bit of budgetary challenges too. You have a point about the hot dogs but I plan to not consume too much of it and switch it up with tuna and salmon and stuff like that. I also love you ideas about different ways and styles to prepare the hot dogs on the salad. I will be sure to try them out. Thanks.

6. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Wow.. I've never heard of a hot dog salad. When I first saw the subject title I grimaced at the mere idea of such a thing, however.. when you further explained that it was a regular salad with small hot dog slices I have to say I didn't think it sounded so far-fetched. If I was too hungry to eat a salad alone, I think adding small hot dog chunks would be a simple and effective way of eating something healthy and adding sustenance to it. As for picking things out of the norm however, I don't usually pick unfamiliar things from restaurant menus. This 'hot dog salad' however sounds very intriguing.