Have You Tried Or Do You Know How To Flash Your Phone On Your Own?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Jun 7, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just wondering how many of you guys know how to do it, because I haven't tried flashing my phone yet, and I actually intend to learn how to do it so that I won't really depend on going to the technician if I encounter software problems on my phone. They charge around $12 for a simple open line or flashing task, so it would save me money if I know how to do it. So have you tried or do you know how to flash your phone's software?

2. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Well flashing your phone is fairly simple in theory really, as long as you know what you're doing and you have the proper tools to do it. I've never flashed my phone but I do have an idea how and I am willing to try it one day, but the thing is, since I'm not really confident enough with what to do, I've since backed away from the thought because flashing your phone is VERY VERY RISKY. One wrong move and it could render your phone useless. I have a friend who bricked 2 Android phones in the span of 10 months just because he forgot to copy a single file on his phone. Technicians charge that much money for that service because it's really not that easy to begin with and most of the softwares used in this kinds of things are paid. If you really want to learn how to, I suggest you search Android SDK forums for tutorials and guides. This is the internet man, you can learn almost everything from it, for free.

3. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    Yea, I have tried flashing different ROMs on my Android phone. Nothing really difficult, just a little tricky on the first time. IMO rooting and flashing your phone are things that every Android user should do!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I heard it can brick your phone if it's not done properly, so you really need to research very well. I'm just a new Android user since I have used Java phones most of the time because I hate touch screen phones, so I will check out the site that you mentioned. Right now I intend to start with flashing Java phones first, since mine restarts quite a lot and I read that flashing it solves the problem.

5. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    It's difficult if you're coming in cold turkey, but generally once you get the hang of it isn't too bad. Just be on the look out for a step by step instructional from your original stock rom.
    It's rare nowadays that you can flash your phone and completely "brick" it. It can be a bit scary when your phone doesn't boot up at first, but sometimes you need to be patient and other times you'll just need to re-install the original rom.

In the end, it tends to be worth it overall, especially if your carrier or manufacturer put too much "bloatware" on your phone that you don't need. That said, customized roms tend to have little quirks or bugs in them that can be tedious to say the least.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I guess you're referring to Android phones. But I think Java phones are much easier to flash right? That's actually the kind of phone that I intend to flash since it constantly restarts when I use certain applications.

7. ezio

ezioBanned

Threads:
    Actually I had Samsung galaxy Y phone and I am always try to new custom rom in phone. Its easy but its too risky because when you flash another rom in your phone then your mobile warranty also gone. And in this process there are possibility to your phone going to brick. That why I am not suggest you this process. But if you want to know more about this things, then go on XDA-Developers forum.