Have You Worked Outside of the Country?

Discussion in Travel started by nwitt • Apr 10, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the US and always have. We are considering an opportunity to teach English in Asia.

Has anyone ever done this? What was your experience like? Were you able to save up money while doing this?

What was more costly in your new home?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once volunteered for an aid agency and worked abroad for slightly longer than a year. While technically, it wasn't work per se as I wasn't being paid for what I did save for some small allowances, I think working in a third world country can help you save a lot of money if that's your intention.

But please note that unless you're working as an expat and being paid what you would have earned if you were working at home, you wouldn't gain much from working in a such a place because the salaries will also be much lower than you would want to work for.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think that would be amazing to do! I worked while I lived in Vancouver, but it wasn't the same type of experience whatsoever (and was actually really costly for me, simply because of the location).

I don't know if you'll be able to save up money while you're there, but I think it would be worth every bit of the experience you would have while there, even if you don't.

4. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I first came to Germany to work as a nanny, in order to be with my boyfriend. However, before I met him I had always been planning on going back to Japan to teach English for a couple years. I would recommend you do it! Unless you want to be an ESL teacher, or really improve your language skills, it's probably not going to be overly useful for your professional life. However, living and working abroad in multiple countries has given me the best experiences of my life. I'm not sure which Asian country you're talking about, but there's basically no easier way to get to work abroad than to teach English. It will definitely be an unforgettable experience!

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm Brazilian and have lived in Brazil for all my life, but in 2012 I went to the US (California) for a paid marketing internship. I think that was the best thing for me, because not only was it a great experience abroad from a personal growth perspective, but it also added greatly to my resume, since it was an experience abroad in my field of work. But any work you do abroad is valid for personal growth, no matter if it is a volunteer unpaid program or paid internship or job. I traveled with a student organization called AIESEC, they are very reputable with internships. You need to be in college or graduated on the last couple of years to qualify, but it's worth looking at it!!

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am strongly considering doing this and am in the middle of researching agencies, before I start applying places. I think it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and based on what I am seeing, much is included and payed for - many pay airfare and rent. It would allow for savings and debt payoff.

7. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I am Canadian but I live in Asia and do work in China I respect all the chines because they all are friendly and have much better behave with the worker and all the Chinese people who work with me care me a lot..