Have You Written Your Own Book?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by AngelicDevilTel • Feb 10, 2015.

1. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Are you an author? Do you want to be?
    Have you published a book?

I am currently working on my first book that I hope to finish by the end of this year and publish by my birthday next year.
    If you have published a book, which route did you go through?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many ways to get a book published. But if you want your book published by traditional publishers then you MUST get yourself an agent because they'd know the right publishers for your book.

Since it's hard for an unpublished/new writer to convince an agent to represent them, you could opt to go the way of sending queries and hope that a publisher responds.

Should they express no interest then publish your book online.

"Here are six great sites that will help you publish your work, guaranteeing you a published book that can be sold via different outlets, such as Amazon."

I was interested in writing books a long time ago. That thirst for fame and fortune has been well quenched. So no, I didn't get to be an author nor do I still desire to write books.

3. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I had actually already decided on self publishing
    Seems like it gives me more freedom.
    I'm not truly after the fame and fortune, although it would be a plus if my book goes over well.

4. Denis Hard

Threads:
    That's the right attitude. Self-publishing certainly will give you all the freedom you need. And who knows? The unexpected at times happens. One of my FB "friends" had her book adapted for the screen. So though she never got a publisher to like her book, she's going to make some good cash from it anyway.

I like your attitude though. Come what may you'll still write. I wish you the best of luck.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently trawling through a list of agents, which is tiring because I look them up, read the reviews and then put them on a shortlist. Some have moved to other agencies or some have dead websites.

I have self-published and it works for some genres, but this particular book I would rather try the traditional route first. It does take time and investment, too and I have a friend who spent a fortune on buying reviews and paying for a publicist, but she has had limited success despite teaching writing all her life. Fortunately she didn't have to rely on profits as she had family money, however for some of us it has to break even at least.

6. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I believe the reason why most writers don't get to be successful is because of their unwillingness to take risks and their fear of rejections. Getting rejections, many of them at times is inevitable. But if a book is good then obviously eventually there'll be a "taker." Agents help you lessen the number of rejections you get. When writing your query letter keep in mind that literary agents love money. Make them believe your book will make them money and they'll most likely be very interested in reading it.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only ever written and finished one story in my life. Of course, like a lot of other writers, I have many many many unfinished works. The piece that I had finished, I did try to self-publish years ago when self-publishing was first becoming a thing online. But I did not get around to completing that process. I have written my own book though, and I plan to write more!!!!

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently writing a thriller-fantasy novel and have looked through all the publishing companies that can possibly assist me in promoting it once finished. I would have preferred to go through a literary agent and publish in an international scale but while I'm still looking for the appropriate person, I'm just making the most out of our local publishing resources.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never written a book, but it's certainly something I aspire to do in the future! But first I need to polish up my writing skills and gauge whether or not I have what it takes. I'm not sure I'd base it on my life, for fear of upsetting people. I think for my first few books I'd probably explore the self-publishing route to test the water. I don't know, it's still very much a pipe dream :) I'm encouraged though, to find that there are other people here who're looking to go that way!

10. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I mostly written poems. I do not have enough polished poems to create an anthology and have it published as a book. I did try writing a book, but a virus wiped it out. I have an old copy of it, but was discouraged to retry it. I joined NanoWrimo to help spark the ideas again, but still not enough. I might seriously consider starting book writing again though.

Speaking of sel-publish sites, you can check Tablo.io.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't published any book yet, but I am hoping to do so someday. I always have a passion for writing and mostly, I write some short stories which need to be polished a bit. :) I have this huge imagination and somehow I want to put it into good use. Yes, in the near future, I might be a famous author. Wishful thinking though. :oops:

12. Orchidea

OrchideaNew Member

Threads:
    I have been trying to complete the same story for the past three years, but I can't seem to get the time or inspiration to do so. I did write shorter stories in school, but I never even thought about publishing. However, my dream is to actually publish a story - not necessarily to be a famous writer, but to actually prove to myself that I can really do it.

I wish you luck on getting your story written and published!

=)

13. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I'm working on self publishing after having ghost written for articles for close to 10 years now. It's just that other things that I'm making money on right now that keep getting in the way LOL I really do want to get it done and swear that I will, eventually.