Having More Than One Television Set In The House

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sunnyside • Apr 15, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    When television first came out, most people could not afford to buy one. Later on, more and more people bought television sets and each home had only 1 television set. Families would sit down and watch programmes together. These days, however, it is not uncommon to see about 2 or 3 television sets in 1 home. But is this really necessary?

I believe the reason why some families have more than one television set is because each person wants to watch a different programme to what the others are watching at any given time. There is not as much togetherness as in the past. Furthermore, the price of television sets would have dropped considerably over the years making it easier to purchase a new one. Having said this though, with the evolution of the Internet, the time taken watching television would have diminished somewhat.

Do you think having more than one TV set in the home is still a popular feature?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    We have just one TV set in our house and even that one isn't really used much. Maybe a few hours a week. People tend to use their laptops or tablets or smartphones instead of the TV these days in my opinion so multiple televisions aren't really necessary. I'm sure people have more than one though. For example if they need another for gaming on then there's likely to be a second TV set.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 2 in the family and we have 3 television sets. I bought one for the family that's on sale with a DVD and CD player right before the flat screens became popular. Then my cousin gave my Mom a television set and it's so nice and bigger so she has an easier time watching it. Then I saw a 79.00 flat screen television set and we bought it with free shipping too! So now we got 3 television sets in our home. My Mom loves her flat screen television and we have a spare just in-case one breaks down, we have a spare for guests to use and we'll never be without a television set. We love our different programs so we need more than one television set in our home.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and my relatives even have a tv in each room. I think because of the price drop in tv, it results in most people being able to afford it, like cellphones, so you know they are bound to be popular with people who would want to have a tv in every room.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are 4 people in the house, me and my husband plus 2 housemaids. We have 2 tv sets - 1 in our bedroom and 1 in the living room. But it's very rare to see the 2 tv sets turned on at the same time. As much as possible, we watch the tv in the living room. And right before bedtime when we are in the bedroom watching tv, the housemaids are also in their bedroom sleeping. It has been my policy to have that rule in the house... using only 1 tv set.

6. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, growing up everyone in my house had a TV in their bedrooms and even now as an adult we do. It's mostly so my husband can play PlayStation on one TV and I can watch whever I want on my own TV. Which, usually ends up being whatever Disney movie my two-year-old daughter wants to watch.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind having more than one TV in the house, but I really don't see the point of having one in the bedroom. My bedroom is strictly for sleeping, resting and just chilling with my husband. If he's downstairs watching TV and I'm in bed, I'm almost always reading. The only place I'm happy having a TV is the front rooms and maybe the kitchen. I feel too many TVs in the house can be detrimental to relationships and communication within the home. Not to mention all that money spent buying all those TVs!

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have multiple TV sets but one of them I really can't use right now as I have no cable connection in the bedroom, and the cat knocked the converter box. This is one of the things that most people have, but some younger people don't even watch regular TV. At night in the bedroom, I usually watch netflix on the kindle so I really don't need a TV in there, but the TV is a nice widescreen if it was hooked up I would watch it.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 3 tv's in the house one not connected to the only because we do not need it. We do have one tv that is used for games only or Netflixs. The kids do not look at tv, they look at Netflix's and youtube on their phones.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We have three televisions now which one is a box set that I'm gong to keep until it dies. Initially we just had that one and then my son gifted our home with a flat screen after we signed up with satellite service. Then I bought a smaller flat screen to keep the sparks from flying so I could watch Netlfix when I wanted to especially when football season was in full force.

So sometimes it's easier to have more than one television in the home just to keep the peace.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no idea whether having more than one TV set is popular or not but over the years, we've accumulated 4. Our first television, CRT-type and 24 inches wide, is still there but we're not using it because although functioning, it consumes too much space and there's some problem with the wiring. My parents added two more sets for our old and new homes. When we rented out the old home, we had to bring the second TV set back to our recent abode. They're semi-flat screen and 20 inches wide but they didn't last long. When my dad's Christmas bonus came through, he bought a Devant flat screen TV for a more "cinematic" experience.

So there you have it. No one really planned the whole multiple TV sets thing. It just happened before we realized it.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have two TV sets because sometimes one of us wants to watch a show ,while the other one wants to play video games in the other room. It's not about status ,or the price of tv's. We have enough togetherness time, so sometimes we want to do different things. We can't always agree on playing video games at the same time.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    We have four television sets in our home. There is one in the living room and three televisions in the bedrooms, only one of the four bedrooms do not have a TV. The cost of acquiring has been considerably reduced and these modern flat screen televisions do not need lots of space as the older types did and nowadays everyone likes to watch whatever they individually find appealing so there is hardly any group type of watching so each person would love to have their own equipment at their disposal.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't know how old TV sets used to cost but I think new ones are now a bit more practical especially if you're willing to sacrifice brand name for price. I see a lot of China brand TVs that are being sold for very cheap so I think it's not that much of an indulgence to buy 2 or even 3 of these. Even the branded ones are lowering in prices fairly quickly too but I personally don't think the prices are that low that I would consider purchasing multiple ones without feeling a little guilty, but as for the cheaper more generic brand ones I think it's ok and even if they break down after a few years of use it won't hurt that bad since they were bought for cheap anyway.

15. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    It is totally unnecessary and I say that it is a waste of money. Science research has confirmed that sitting in front of the TV for too long just dulls your brain. Having more that one TV may be okay when your children a very young. When the children were young, I would ensure that they did not have to sit around with adults who were insensitive to what was on the TV with the children present. So I ensured that they watched their own programmes while the adults watched may be a football game or a movie, the adverts were just ridiculous for little children.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing most people have more than one TV, even people in the developing world. They're simply not worth as much as in the past. Note, myself, I don't like TV that much. Nonetheless, I'd want an extra TV to play video games. However, that's not a big deal cause an old school heavy 13 inch can be bought for 20 USD or less at a consignment shop.

Oh, by the way, note TVs are easy to save on, as I mentioned, assuming you don't need a flat screen.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I plead guilty to this crime, your honor. However, we only use one tv at a time and it is very rare that the 2 tv are running at the same time. Our tv in the living room is the official tv of the family and the one in the bedroom is my dominion mostly used for watching my favorite sports programs.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Here at home we have 2 televisions.

One in the living room and one in my parents' bedroom. I don't care to have a television in my room because I practically don't watch more television (I practically watched everything that I want on my computer).

19. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @sunnyside@sunnyside It is a good idea to have more than one television in a home. It is always relaxing to watch TV in bed so one is also good in the bedroom. If youngsters are still living at home, I think it's a good idea for them to have a TV as well in their rooms as they can have their own privacy and watch what they want. Having a TV in other rooms doesn't spoil the family fun of watching a movie together. I think it helps if anyone wants to watch something different. It saves arguments.

#19Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017