HBO going solo

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Strykstar • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Cordcutters rejoice, HBO has announced a standalone service coming in 2015.

Here is the announcement:

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's an awesome announcement by HBO, for sure. It's surprising that it didn't happen much sooner, but HBO surely can't ignore how much more revenue it could pull in by offering its services online. This move is in the best interest of HBO and consumers alike, although cable service providers might lose a few customers because people don't have to buy their packages in order to get HBO.

3. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I've been partying for over a week- ever since I heard this news. We may even be able to afford to leave the house with the money we will save on cable. This could be a game-changer. I hope it forces cable companies to stop their predatory bundling practices.

4. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot wait for this. I love HBO, but paying for cable is too damn expensive and if I have HBO that's the only channel I keep it on. That and the kid channels. So I feel like I'm wasting money on channels I never watch. I can't wait for this to happen. I can finally watch the last season of True Blood and Boardwalk Empire! And I can watch GoT without having to re-subscribe to an overpriced cable bill. AMC's turn!

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    When you got HBO you go everything already! I mean movies and Game of thrones?! I will take that any time of the day than a hundred cable channels! Good job HBO!

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Freaking awesome. What a great business decision from HBO. People love their shows and I imagine they'll see a giant surge of people signing up for their service. Can very easily see them being as popular as Netflix, simply because of the strength of their shows.

I wonder what the pricing will be for a subscription?

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that HBO made such a decision precisely for what you are pointing at, Netflix is actually more popular than any other broadcasting service airing movies and TV shows.

So that, HBO had to make changes to the rules of its game to remain as popular as it was in the past.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I blame/credit Game of Thrones for this move. With such great popularity, people were sharing HBOGo accounts or streaming illegally online instead of purchasing a super expensive cable package. By moving over to a standalone option, they will likely increase their revenue as more people decide to pay a small amount to watch the shows they enjoy from HBO.