Healing your cavities naturally?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Sep 22, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few days ago I came across an interesting article that talked about how to naturally reverse tooth decay and heal cavities naturally. Coconut oil was mentioned, along with seafood, organic cooked vegetables, bone broths, organic dairy, and certain organ meats, such as liver.
    It also suggested that foods high in phytic acids, such as grains, beans, nuts and seeds, as well as the intake of processed foods, should be limited.
    Have any of you looked into this?

2. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Well those foods and elements you named may help prevent and or stop any further decay, but there is no way to naturally heal a cavity. Once it's there, you have to either close it by filling it. The tooth does not close on its own and regenerate. However, the never can die on its own and fully subside of pain. You can cure gum disease, gingivitis, plaque build up, but never self-cure a cavity.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know, TuRon, that there really is such a thing as "never" when it comes to healing the body, and that includes the teeth. Obviously, you might have difficulties growing back a limb that has been amputated, or an organ that has been removed. But I think if you give the body what it needs, it might just as well be able to regenerate itself and close up cavities again over time.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just curious. How long would it take for teeth that have cavities to fill up naturally? A decade? Maybe longer? I wouldn't dismiss the idea as impossible but I think it would take a really long time.

There was a time someone learned about avocado seeds could relieve toothache but after crushing the seeds and using the powder as the article on the net directed, the pain was still as bad as ever. So I suppose these natural healing remedies have a 50-50 chance of being effective although they may have other benefits.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Turon Davis, there is no way to heal or stop a cavity but by filling it, any sensible dentist will tell you that, teeth, unlike bones that are in your body that can be broken and healed, cannot be healed, I think that's the reason older folks have dentures.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I mean, I guess you could experiment with this sort of thing, but why would you? Cavity's need to be taken care of ASAP. For one, they hurt like hell and it's also a pretty big health risk to not get the cavity fixed.

There are just some things you don't want to mess with and I'd say a cavity is one of them.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Cavities don't usually fill in, but the tooth can repair itself, it's called re-mineralization. Basically, if you eat the right foods, avoid tooth harming foods and get plenty of vitamin A and D the tooth can heal the damaged area by depositing new mineral there to protect the dentin and stop pain and sensitivity and prevent further damage. So yes, the tooth can heal and become strong again without drilling and filling, but if you have a cavity (small hole), it will probably remain that shape or close to it.

There is a great book by called Cure Tooth Decay Naturally by Ramiel Nagel that discusses the causes of tooth decay and how to stop and reverse it. It has lots practical instructions you can use right away and I have personally had great success with it.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have read some about it, too, but I never had any luck with it myself. I don't think I was consistent enough over time to make a big enough difference. There's a full set of rituals involving milk, too, that you might want to look into.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest, and perhaps I'm just too cynical, I don't believe this at all. Maybe it can help but in terms of long term, lasting effects I don't think this is feasible. If it was I think a lot of people would be saving a lot of money on dental care.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing will heal teeth faster than a proper diet of real foods and getting all the necessary nutrients you need. Specific foods are fine and dandy, but you'll notice the common factor with the ones listed is that they are all real foods. Just kick the processed junk to the curb, eat real and brush away the foods when you're done chomping on them lol. Simple. Of course, not all issues can be reversed, no matter what you do on your own.. it's best to prevent them. But yes, some of the smaller issues and cavities can totally be reversed with proper nutrition and care.

11. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe strongly that you can heal teeth, especially at the beginning stages of decay. Most of us have been to the dentist where they say, 'This is turning into a cavity and so we had better take care of it now.' That's like saying, 'you are going to have skin cancer there so we mine as well remove the mole now.' There are things that you can do to protect yourself before it happens. And the same can be said of tooth decay. When our tooth has that 'whitish' looking spot that will turn into a cavity, this is the time to be active. Vanilla can pull bacteria out of the mouth as well as cloves. You can make a natural mouth wash that might help. And some have found that doubling up on floss and using it after each meal helps to get dirty bacteria out from in between the teeth. While some teeth might be a lost cause, most of us are getting treated too soon by our dentists who are doing well to keep up with advancing technology but sadly, need to pay for them by charging all of us to fill our cavities - and we only have so many teeth for them to fill.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I can't get behind that logic actually. If that were true, then we wouldn't see people spending crazy amounts on medical expenses either. There are plenty of people who spend lots of money on medicines for illnesses they could potentially just fix at home, ya know? They wouldn't be running to the ER or doctor every five minutes and would save their money instead.

13. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    You should definitely see a dentist if you have any noticeable dark spots on your teeth. Although when a cavity is first forming it is reversible (can be healed), once it sets in into the teeth (becomes very, very dark brown or black) it irreversible damage has been done to your teeth already. You cannot rebuild the enamel you have lost, and I highly advise to see a dental professional rather than attempt to do a home remedy.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it might be worth a try if the cavity is just small, but if it's already big and severe, then I guess those "natural cures" won't work at all. I guess before we rely on those natural cures, we should seek the opinion of a dentist or professional first, and we should only turn to alternative methods if what the professionals prescribed to us doesn't seem to be working.

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do believe that what we eat can transform the way we live, but reversing cavities I find something unlikely to happen. All those foods you mention are yummy, but basing a diet on them it's not exactly easy. I am going to investigate this further though because being true it would be something great!

16. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    That seems really out there, doesn't seem like it would actually work. I think I remember reading an article somewhere that when you lose tooth enamel it can't be replaced, only filled in. If I remember correctly it can't be replaced naturally because it is permanently damaged and unable to heal itself. Everything I've read and learned about tooth decay states this, but science has come a long way.

It would be really neat if it could be healed naturally, that would be a great benefit for those unable to deal with large dental bills.

I'm surprised that a toothpaste or something hasn't been invented that would fill the cavities in when we brush. That would be great and save money for so many people, but it will never happen as it would but the dentistry industry out of business.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that is quite interesting. I never heard of such a thing. I have a few cavities now, but I am going to take a look at that book. I hate going to the dentist. I have some cavities that may just be starting so if I put that book to use maybe I can stop them from developing!

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The list of foods to avoid to help cure a tooth cavity are the main things I eat. Beans are high in protein as are nuts. I can see limiting the nuts as they are hard and can break the teeth but to remove them all together from your diet unless you are allergic would not be a good thing. Most non meat eaters depend on nuts as a source of protein and fiber as I do. The article mentioned has some good information but I doubt if the method could reverse a tooth cavity completely.

19. healthgeek

healthgeekNew Member

Threads:
    Like most people,I always fear dentists even during routine dental scaling. Keeping our gums healthy is the best way to prevent any dental issue. I got a bad scare when I had to do a root canal surgery plus crowning 2 years back...thank god the dentist is good! But after that, I got sensitive gums around that area. Bleeds easily when I floss and food get trapped there easily. Such a pain each time I chewed that side of the mouth. But recently I had an accidentally finding with a supplement drink I took. I was recommended to drink a fruit blend drink "reserve" for just general health upkeep. But found after a couple of weeks of intake, my gums at that area bleed less and less sore then before. I did not expect this outcome but so glad I can chew more often with that side of the mouth. So I really believe key to prevention of dental issues is to maintain healthy gums.
    Those keen to find out more about this fruit blend drink can visit this website where I buy from:

20. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm this is very interesting, and I have seen those claims made before. In all honesty, I'm with most of the people here; I can see the food preventing as opposed healing the damage that's already set it. If I did have that situation, I wouldn't stick around and try to heal it solely through diet, I'd get myself off to my dentist PRONTO. I think that's the best solution.