Healthiest bread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we go to the supermarket or other place that sells bread we always find a huge variety of breads. From regular white bread, to integral bread, with cereals, nuts, raisins, it's a never ending list. How do you choose your bread? The healthiest or the cheaper?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of big-brand commercial wheat breads dye their breads brown to make it look more "whole wheat", so look out for that.

I have a bread bakery near me so I am a little spoiled. I buy whole grain loaves from them.

Officially, whole grain loaves are "less processed" than whole wheat. Whole grain has less fat and less fiber too. So your best bet is to buy a loaf that says 100% whole grain.

However, If you prefer whole wheat or nut loaves due to taste, go for that. If you only eat a piece or two a day, it won't make that much of a difference if you are eating an otherwise complete diet.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A mixture of the two, a wholewheat with seeds or grain that is on special. I'm not brand loyal so will look at the price and the healthiest I can get for that price and the size of the slices as well. Pepperidge farm have bigger slices which I prefer so when it's on offer I buy them.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just buy whatever I like and whatever appeals to me that doesn't cost too much, so I'd say I care more about the price than the health benefits. I'd much rather just eat the type of bread that I like which is usually white bread and I would just cut corners on something else, because I don't enjoy wheat bread at all. I get terribly annoyed with the small bits of grain and I don't find the taste of the bread itself appealing.

5. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    Look for authentic whole-wheat breads which aren't artificially dyed to create the effect. those breads are much more healthy for you but don't force it, if you don't like the flavor. You can get 50-50 breads which I like.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy bread very often, but I do buy the good stuff when I do. Reading the ingredients on the bag will help you spot the "fake" healthy bread. Last year I discovered sprouted bread. It sounds a bit gross, but I love sprouted flaxseed bread. My current favorite bread is Ezekiel Bread. It's a complete protein even though it's bread.

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    In our family, we mostly prefer our bread plain (no raisins/nuts/etc). So I usually buy just plain white bread for the kids and wheat bread for me and my husband. But if I have some extra money to spare, I also buy plain croissant rolls and a couple of baguettes. :)

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We eat white bread most of the time because that is the easiest to find and the cheapest. However, my mother eats wheat bread because she is diabetic and has hypertension. The doctor told her that if she wants to eat bread, she should get wheat.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that eating white bread (or for the same effect white rice or pasta) is the worse thing we can do, we should not eat anything white because it's poison to our body. I don't know up to what point this is true, but in fact I eat mostly white bread...