Healthy Instant Food

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 4, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've posted a thread about frozen vegetable dumplings in this forum before, and now I'm looking for some other healthy instant food because I'm looking to have something else to throw into the cycle. I love eating the vegetable dumplings because they don't taste much like you're sacrificing anything at all since they are good not only as a substitute but just as a dish in itself.

The best thing about it is that you only have to take it out of the freezer and steam or fry it, and if you're even too lazy for that you could just microwave it.

Do you guys know of any other similar healthy instant food that is easy to prepare while still not tasting like too much of a sacrifice or substitute for more indulgent food?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Frozen Vegetable Dumplings? Do you mean you're dumping some frozen veggies and some cut up prepared biscuits (the kind in the tube) into some broth to make a vegetable soup with dumplings? Or are you wrapping some veggies in wonton wrappers, and making something more like a "potsticker"?

I like to make a quick Minestrone with frozen mixed vegetables (beans, carrots, corn). I just dump some in a pot with chicken broth and marinara sauce, along with a can or two of beans such as Kidney beans, Navy beans, Canellini beans or Great Northern. Then in a microwave safe bowl, I put some Ditalini pasta and cover it with a few inches of water and microwave it for 12 minutes. I like to cook the pasta separately, so I can see how much cooked pasta I am putting into the soup, otherwise if there is too much it will soak up all the broth. You could put in some browned ground meat, such as ground beef or turkey too.

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I just do good old lean cuisines when I need a quick (somewhat) healthy meal. They have a full serving of vegetables and are low in calories. Salads are quick and easy to throw together too. I keep frozen fruits in the freezer and will also throw them in a blender with plain yogurt and a banana to make a filling smoothie on the go.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could join you on that one but I've never cared for lean cuisines or any other microwave dinner for that matter. Reminds me of my childhood which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your childhood I guess. I would suggest making food in advance when you have a moment to yourself & freezing it in muffin tin portions. That couldn't BE more instant.